Plants for THIS year.

Rabbie

Re: Plants for THIS year.

Post by Rabbie »

Not much on the new plant list, mostly just dividing, growing on seedlings and moving things about.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
miketropic wrote:..a blank canvas is very hard for me to picture finished so I am trying to draw it out first.
Download some garden design software. A decent package should allow you to do a 3D walkthru of your design so you can get a feel for it.

I like the idea..but I have gone with a bit of a cheaper route...paper and color pencils :lol: ..A program would make it much easier though
Mixed moso

Post by Mixed moso »

I got a lot of plants for Christmas (my Christmas list was entirely in Latin) so I'm trying not to buy any more until I've planted them all out. Seeds don't count, of course. I've got about 15 lots of bananas in the propagator. Sikkimensis, cheesmanii, and Ensete glaucum started to germinate in about 3 weeks. I'm also growing some arisaemas, Embothryium cocchineum 'Norquinco Valley', and Podocarpus macrophyllum. No sign of life from Clematis napaulensis or Osmanthus fragrans yet. When is the best time to sow Ricinus?
kiarancactus

Post by kiarancactus »

Got some plants in mind, no clue where to put them but that's unimportant! Zaluzianskya capensis looks like a fun one to try, Agave montana, Aloe striatula, maybe Agave havardiana. Also got some more Eucomis bulbs on order, hoping to get hold of Eucomis Pole-evansii, and if all goes well I'll hopefully get myself a Tetrapanax rex! Blechnum Magellanicum might be worth a try too! :D
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

@kiarancactus - you have to get Agave gentryi 'Jaws'. it is hardier than the ones you mentioned.
kiarancactus

Post by kiarancactus »

Blairs wrote:@kiarancactus - you have to get Agave gentryi 'Jaws'. it is hardier than the ones you mentioned.
Woah that is going straight on the list :D, it certainly looks vicious! Much appreciated icon_thumleft
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Prowling round the nurseries today - browsing in the fern section, spotted one larger than the others which had a little 4" trunk and long hard leaves. Looked suspiciously like tree fern leaves, so I thought I'd have it as it was only £4.75. The label just said "fern" or so I thought! It was the only one there as all the others were little mixed ferns.
Got it home and potted it up in a tall terracotta pot and had a good look at the label, one of those plastic ones on a spike, and guess what? It said Dicksonia Antarctica!!!! Well, blow me down! So I've got a new tree fern, hurrah!! Result!

Prowling round another nursery, looking in the phormium section and there was a little lonely trachycarpus fortunei.
26" high from top of pot to top of leaves. Ten good leaves and the centre spear seems firm and healthy. Seemed a shame to leave it there on its own so its come home with me, cost £14.95.
Really pleased, nothing like new babies to nurture, love it.

What combination of composts would you experts recommend to pot the Trachycarpus up in to grow it on for a while?
dino

Post by dino »

Just picked up a Yucca Gloriosa 'Bright Star'. Been after one for a while and 50% off was all the incentive I needed icon_cheers
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Mixed moso wrote:my Christmas list was entirely in Latin)
I'm nicking that idea !!
When is the best time to sow Ricinus?
Not too soon, they grow quickly and won't do well if the light is poor.

I sowed mine on 1st April last year
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

RozDevon wrote:Prowling round the nurseries today - browsing in the fern section, spotted one larger than the others which had a little 4" trunk and long hard leaves. Looked suspiciously like tree fern leaves, so I thought I'd have it as it was only £4.75. The label just said "fern" or so I thought! It was the only one there as all the others were little mixed ferns.
Got it home and potted it up in a tall terracotta pot and had a good look at the label, one of those plastic ones on a spike, and guess what? It said Dicksonia Antarctica!!!! Well, blow me down! So I've got a new tree fern, hurrah!! Result!

Prowling round another nursery, looking in the phormium section and there was a little lonely trachycarpus fortunei.
26" high from top of pot to top of leaves. Ten good leaves and the centre spear seems firm and healthy. Seemed a shame to leave it there on its own so its come home with me, cost £14.95.
Really pleased, nothing like new babies to nurture, love it.

What combination of composts would you experts recommend to pot the Trachycarpus up in to grow it on for a while?

We need pics of the £4.75 Dicksonia antarctica!!!! omg :shock: :shock:
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Its in the shed for the night as it was in a big cold greenhouse and its going to be cold tonight. Will try and post photo tomorrow. No success so far with doing that. Will get OH involved! Might have some luck then! He put my video on last year so it better at this techno stuff than I am.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

RozDevon wrote:Its in the shed for the night as it was in a big cold greenhouse and its going to be cold tonight. Will try and post photo tomorrow. No success so far with doing that. Will get OH involved! Might have some luck then! He put my video on last year so it better at this techno stuff than I am.
Let me know which bit you can't do and i'll help ;)
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

OK, thanks.
Have a mini ipad, have the photo on there, but how do you then link to the forum page from the photo page?
Click on the photo, then what?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

RozDevon wrote:OK, thanks.
Have a mini ipad, have the photo on there, but how do you then link to the forum page from the photo page?
Click on the photo, then what?

Do you have the photo uplaoded somewhere like photobucket? if so you simply put

the address of the photo, eg. http://www.rozphoto.jpg and surroung it with [img]and[/img]

so it would look like [ img]http://www.rozphoto.jpg[/img]
Mixed moso

Post by Mixed moso »

Kristen wrote:
When is the best time to sow Ricinus?
Not too soon, they grow quickly and won't do well if the light is poor.

I sowed mine on 1st April last year
Thanks, I'll try that. I haven't tried them before but am hoping to do the local open gardens this year so going all out!