Echium, I wasn't prepared for this to grow so big...

sanatic1234

Re: Echium, I wasn't prepared for this to grow so big...

Post by sanatic1234 »

sanatic1234 wrote:cordy I would keep it off mate, mine has not been protected once and is still growing! you could actually make it die with it being wrapped when its mild as it could sweat and rot the growth point as there will be no decent air circulation? It is the more constant freezes when you need to be thinking about the protection, these are fine up to -5c with no protection. But of course totally up to you. I will post a picture of mine tomorrow.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

cordyman wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:Looks great! icon_thumleft I'm going to sow some seeds pretty soon for the summer.

Wonder at this size will it be at odds for a flower tower this summer, I hope so icon_cheers
Not this year cordy but the following year it will, yours is still quite young im guessing seed sown last year, mine is now 4ft plus and sown from seed last year but i won't get flowers this year as it will only be in its second year this year. I just hope the winter end of this year is as nice as the one were having now. :-)
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

sanatic1234 wrote:
cordyman wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:Looks great! icon_thumleft I'm going to sow some seeds pretty soon for the summer.

Wonder at this size will it be at odds for a flower tower this summer, I hope so icon_cheers
Not this year cordy but the following year it will, yours is still quite young im guessing seed sown last year, mine is now 4ft plus and sown from seed last year but i won't get flowers this year as it will only be in its second year this year. I just hope the winter end of this year is as nice as the one were having now. :-)

Cheers San, I've had good experience with fleece bags on everything, including prone to rot washy's, and cordys for 5-6 months solid and they all come out looking peachy. I support them by canes to allow airflow, and light in colour to let UV in.

I'd love to add the fleece to the echium only as and when we have a cold spell, but don't have the time so its going to stay fleeced till Spring :shock: :lol: I'm confident it will sail through icon_salut
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

That is completely fine cordy it is your choice, I am just simply saying they are fine up to -5c without. But lets face it this winter has been a hell lot different to the last 2-3 winters. I am extremely impressed on how little protecting i have had to do, only thing that has had the most protection in my garden is the t-rex's as i don't want the growth points being mushed and having an army of pups in the growing season. I even have a juvenile washingtonia robusta that has been just about without protection most of the winter and it looks great!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I could have left everything unwrapped till now pretty much, but once cold season arrives it can change all too quickly :lol:

My Trex has a 2 litre pop bottle over the growing point, was looking at it yesterday and its waiting to burst come warm weather icon_thumleft
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I know what you mean i just check the weather everyday and see what is on its way if it is about to change then i will be out there with the fleece. :-)
I used the bottle method last year but my growth point dried up, not saying it was the bottle as it most likely was not but thought i would try layers draped over the growth points, working so far. :-)

As promised cordy picture of my now 10 month old echium picture taken today.
Attachments
php2ksU43PM.jpg
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

sanatic1234 wrote:I know what you mean i just check the weather everyday and see what is on its way if it is about to change then i will be out there with the fleece. :-)
I used the bottle method last year but my growth point dried up, not saying it was the bottle as it most likely was not but thought i would try layers draped over the growth points, working so far. :-)

As promised cordy picture of my now 10 month old echium picture taken today.
cheers San, thats gotta go pop with a flower this year, its looking big :lol:

Love the mature looking backdrop, helps with microclimate?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I wish cordy it is only 10 months old mate :lol: That would be a first i think. :-) The conifers do help to protect the echium some what i think and the t-rex in the background although that is now showing some frost damage on the leaves but the wind has ripped that to bits this winter. :( still would rather have the winds than frost after frost. :)
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

sanatic1234 wrote:I wish cordy it is only 10 months old mate :lol: That would be a first i think. :-) The conifers do help to protect the echium some what i think and the t-rex in the background although that is now showing some frost damage on the leaves but the wind has ripped that to bits this winter. :( still would rather have the winds than frost after frost. :)

wishful thinking by me I think, I see them on Crantock becah in newquay and the flower towers just look out of this world, can't wait won't wait :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bet its a good windbreak too the conifers?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have seen some pictures of them in cornwall posted on facebook where they have self seeded and are flowering looks great as its all natural, no placed planting. Amazing! Hopefully yours and mine won't take the 3 years to flower, my last one flowered in its 2nd year but at the very end and just about to enter its 3rd. so hopefully next winter will be nice as well. :-) I am trying wildpretti next. :-)
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Conifers do add a good wind break from the back but still very windy just in front of them, it was the wind that snapped my last one, it was getting hit from both sides in 2012, it was a very windy summer that year for me. I had a lot of plants snapped. come october time my garden looked a mess. :(
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

sanatic1234 wrote:I have seen some pictures of them in cornwall posted on facebook where they have self seeded and are flowering looks great as its all natural, no placed planting. Amazing! Hopefully yours and mine won't take the 3 years to flower, my last one flowered in its 2nd year but at the very end and just about to enter its 3rd. so hopefully next winter will be nice as well. :-) I am trying wildpretti next. :-)

wildpretti is a right looker drunken_smilie1 drunken_smilie1 drunken_smilie1
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Just look at that icon_salut icon_salut

stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

They used to grow Echium candicans at Ness Gardens before they got destroyed in 2009! I personally think they should try again!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

stephenprudence wrote:They used to grow Echium candicans at Ness Gardens before they got destroyed in 2009! I personally think they should try again!

Lovely!!!! icon_salut icon_salut