Gingers

Cardiffcol

Gingers

Post by Cardiffcol »

What Gingers can be left outside in the ground through winter without protection? In the UK.
Neil Ziemski

Re: Gingers

Post by Neil Ziemski »

Tara possibly, I say possibly as it depends on the winter.
Assam orange is another, but I play safe and over winter the lot, I have five or six types.
Neil
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Assam orange survives the worst winters for me, I just give it a mulch, as does Cautleya spicata. I've tried and failed with quite a few others.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Erm, all of mine! I'm in a milder area so get away with a lot plus I'm too lazy to keep digging them up.
Assam Orange, coronarium, spicatum and greenii are the ones I have at the mo
Mixed moso

Post by Mixed moso »

Assam Orange is extremely hardy. Cautleya spicata, lutea and gracilis. Roscoeas are lovely if you want smaller hardy gingers.
Cardiffcol

Post by Cardiffcol »

Thanks all! I have just purchased some Cautleya spicata seeds on eBay. They say it can flower the first year from seed and it looks like it has nice jungle looking leaves. Perfect!!!
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Hedychium forrestii has remained in one spot in the garden without protection for the last fifteen years.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Cardiffcol wrote:What Gingers can be left outside in the ground through winter without protection? In the UK.
I think part of the leave-them-out consideration is getting them to flower - before the Autumn turns into frosts.

Leaving them under cover until July, even, can bring forwards flowering by a month, otherwise risk that they flower too late to be able to enjoy.

I cut mine to bring the stems into the house when frost threatened - when was that? Some time in November I think. The flowers have finished but the leaves are STILL in a vase in the house looking nice and green :)
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I had spicatum planted for two years before lifting it last year, only because all my hedychiums are getting planted in a new position this year. I may even leave greenii outside this winter and auranticum.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

which of the hardiest ones can handle the most shade?
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Mr List wrote:which of the hardiest ones can handle the most shade?
I grow most of my gingers mainly for the foliage to add to the Jungle effect, flowers for me are secondary.
In deep shade and bang hardy for me are Hedychium forrestii and greenii, Cautleya spicata is another good one for me and
Hedychuim densiflorum (Assam Orange) seems to prefer more sun.
Leigh
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I wonder if our idea of deep shade is very different.

greenii and aurantiacum both withered to almost dead in, like, half shade for my garden
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Mr List wrote:I wonder if our idea of deep shade is very different.

greenii and aurantiacum both withered to almost dead in, like, half shade for my garden
No direct sunlight and only dappled light ?
But they do get plenty of heat, water and feed
Leigh
call

Post by call »

hedychium- most varieties
roscoea- most varieties
cautleya- gracilis, spicata
zingiber-moiga
alpina-japonica
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Cautleya for me didn't behave as it should, Survived outside winter 2011-12 and flowered the following season. Lifted before the following winter pending a new home and it died in the frost free greenhouse.