What do you think of Euphorbia, Do any of you grow them?

Nigel Fear

Re: What do you think of Euphorbia, Do any of you grow them?

Post by Nigel Fear »

Deedee wrote:Mark/Trudy, there are young children and animals in my garden, Ill have to think about where (out of the way) I could plant one :)
Trudy, Aeoniums are on my wishlist for next year, ill check Ebay for them, Thanks..
Dee, it's only when they're pruned they can potentially become toxic, and that;s only until the 'cut' has callused over, so as long as you keep them away then it'll be fine.

I never bother about gloves when I prune my Euphorbia's and have had contact with the sap on numerous occasions and never suffered any ill effects. Of course everyone's different though, I used to come out in a rash after touching strawberries and tomatoes.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Thanks Nigel, That makes me feel better, I know lots of plants in our gardens are poisonous or the sap is an irritant, at least im aware and can keep kids and animals away, icon_thumright
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

I've got a mellifera, great looking plant, really eye catching.

Going to get some of the others shown here, I love them!
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Same here, E. mellifera.
palm lad

Post by palm lad »

i'd love to have a huge E. ingens somewhere but doubt they are tough enough for very cold weather :/

i always seem to want the plants that i'd find out they wont be hardy enough and so would be reeaaaalllllyyyyy complicated to grow with success :?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

simon wrote:Gogglebox, I think your variegated one might be E. characias 'Silver Swan'.

Thanks Simon, just had a google and I think you're right. I'll have a close compare by pulling an image up and my phone tomorrow and holding it next to the real thing.

;)
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

MikeC wrote:I've got a mellifera, great looking plant, really eye catching.

Going to get some of the others shown here, I love them!
Yes E. mellifera is one of my favourites. I love the understated leaves and the honey scent when it flowers - great pic Mike!

I also like some of the variegated ones - got this one last spring from The Range but it wasn't labelled - could it be 'Burrow's Silver'?
Euphorbia 'Burrow's Silver' & mellifera-qpr.jpg
Out here in California lots of tender succulent types are grown. I particularly like E. tirucalii 'Sticks on Fire' that colours up in the cooler winter weather.
Euphorbia tirucalli ‘Sticks on Fire’-qpr.jpg
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

I also found this fasciated Euphorbia a year or so back - not attractive but quite bizarre!
Fasciated Euphorbia-qpr.jpg
caminthegarden

Re: What do you think of these, Do any of you grow them?

Post by caminthegarden »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Ihave Euphorbia but not Martianii. Not sure what mine is to be honest but it's a silvery grey variegated variety.

Are Euphorbia hardy?
variagated not so hardy ,several different named ones but all similar and gorgeous , Martianii good for dry shade , invasive and very tough and fen ruby can be very invasive too
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I'm on the look out for EUPHORBIA CLAVAROIDES var.TRUNCATA. Could be the most cold and wet tolerant succulent euphorbia there is.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

JoelR wrote:I'm on the look out for EUPHORBIA CLAVAROIDES var.TRUNCATA. Could be the most cold and wet tolerant succulent euphorbia there is.

Did you find it and how did it do?
call

Post by call »

Ive got e. horrida striata, e. obesa, e. ferox and e. suzanne X bupleurifolia- All are succulents icon_thumright
Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell »

[quote="MikeC"]I've got a mellifera, great looking plant, really eye catching.

Us too :D love it
Attachments
IMG_1058.jpg
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom and Shell wrote:
MikeC wrote:I've got a mellifera, great looking plant, really eye catching.

Us too :D love it
By any chance did you purchase it from Braithwell?
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

I've got loads of them. All totally hardy. Went through the bad winters with no damage. Always in leaf all the year. Get yourself loads of them, they look great.