Musa "Mekong Giant"

GREVILLE

Re: Musa "Mekong Giant"

Post by GREVILLE »

After a pathetic start in 2012 and the beginning of 2013 it finally took off late last summer. It is still growing (In it's pot in a sunny window at my overheated local school) icon_thumleft
pdid

Post by pdid »

Yorkshire Kris wrote: I don't recall anyone getting full stems through like basjoo last winter? My Mekong lost it's main stem even though it didn't see below 0 degrees so I feel it's more like Sikkimensis rather than basjoo regarding hardiness. A bit hit and miss.
Lets see how they do this winter with possibly a bit more cold.
Mine came through last Winter wrapped outside (as basjoo) but struggled to get going in the cold spring and was dug up and brought into the conservatory Mayish where it started growing again. It's in the greenhouse this year.
nige pook wrote:So guys, how are your Mekong doing so far,at least the ones being protected? I'm still debating buying one at the mo and have just emailed Simon at Amulree re availability. Cant help thinking they look a tad 'delicate' from the pics from Dave B etc.
Nige
If you struggle getting one Nige, mine had about 4 pups when it went away for the winter. Assuming it still has them when it warms up, you're welcome to one
flounder

Post by flounder »

If anyone else has an extra pup, I would like to try it on this monsoonal south coast! icon_thumleft
pdid

Post by pdid »

flounder wrote:If anyone else has an extra pup, I would like to try it on this monsoonal south coast! icon_thumleft
You can have one too icon_salut
flounder

Post by flounder »

pdid wrote:
flounder wrote:If anyone else has an extra pup, I would like to try it on this monsoonal south coast! icon_thumleft
You can have one too icon_salut
Thankyou very muchly, I'll put it in a tangerine coloured pot to show my appreciation icon_thumright
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Aww thats very kind of you pdid,thankyou! Yes I would love to take you up on that offer assuming that yours is doing well come springtime. I'm way way behind the cutting edge of what some people are growing on the forum but if your after anything that I grow I'd be more than happy to do a swapsie or something. Never cease to be amazed how unenthusiastic some fellow gardeners can be when it comes to growing these sort of'unusual tropical' type of plants. Absolutely love propping my own pups etc and even better when my surplus go to people who are eager to learn to grow them in our non tropical climate. It certainly is a non stop learning curve but I love it!
Nige
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Got an email back from Simon and apparently they all died :-( . Might have to take you up on that offer please pdid:-)
Nige
pdid

Post by pdid »

Hopefully once the days start lengthening, and I get some sun and warmth in the greenhouse, It'll start growing again. Then I'll hopefully be able to take the pups off.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

cut the top off about a week ago

GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Any leaves come off the top, Ken?
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

all the leaves had gone brown and crispy and the roller had gone soft and brown so I cut down about 4 inch to make sure the rot wasn't travelling down.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

All the leaves collapsed on mine and the roller shrivelled, but in the last week, with the intensity/heat in the sun. a green roller has appeared.

Will get a pic if I ever get a full day off work. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

how big is yours dave? this one is about 4-5 ft
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

any more pups going spare? can send a sikki red tiger pup in return, or lasiocarpa
pdid

Post by pdid »

fieldfest wrote:any more pups going spare? can send a sikki red tiger pup in return, or lasiocarpa
Possibly, I've just dragged it into the conservatory now for some extra warmth, once it starts moving again and the pups put on some size I'll separate them.

This it what it looks like now.
Attachments
PicsArt_1395316443260.jpg
PicsArt_1395316474063.jpg