germinating musa sikkimenssis seeds..

simonjohn

germinating musa sikkimenssis seeds..

Post by simonjohn »

Hello all :D whats the best way to do this? I paced the seeds in warm water for 48hrs and then planted them in trays on a heat matt. have had them there 2 weeks and I know I have read that it can take months but I was wondering if anyone on here had a better way of doing it? many thanks icon_cheers
fern Rob

Re: germinating musa sikkimenssis seeds..

Post by fern Rob »

No idea but welcome icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Yes welcome,

I did look on a few sites, nowhere could I find anything on Siki germination apart from dig a hole and put in seed, can take up to 12 months to germinate.

Maybe buy a seedling or part grown plant through Ebay or grower.

I thought I killed a seedling siki once but up it popped only for me to really kill it. I believe the frost finished it off.

icon_sunny
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

My success in germinating Musa seed has been on top of the water boiler - it comes off and on, so there is a temperature change. If you think of the tropics there is a large difference between day and night temperatures. Seedlings grow fast!
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the madhouse Simonjohn, Blairs has the answer icon_thumleft . Musa want fluctuating temperatures.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I germinated mine on top of the boiler too.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I've used the computer tower and fish tank light box with fairly good results, both give a fluctuating temp. Only difference is I use the 'baggie' method. You obviously have read about what you are germinating so I know you won't be disappointed with a 20% germination rate, anything more is a bonus!
Welcome BTW :D
It's best to ask questions in a separate thread from your introduction, otherwise answers could get buried in a sea of hellos and we like to see pictures of successes and failures icon_thumleft
simonjohn

Post by simonjohn »

Ok thankyou. And sorry for posting in the wrong section.
kata

Post by kata »

Not a problem SJ, but public is best for questions, everyone sees it then,

my boiler is a combi so no shelf. Some use the warmth of the top of the entertainment equipment.

icon_sunny
simonjohn

Post by simonjohn »

Great idea. Will try my last 5 seeds that way :-)
kata

Post by kata »

You must be very vigilant with water on electricals, no small kiddies for example with tiny exploring fingers.

The boxes get quite warm so its feasible to germinate.

Take care.

icon_sunny
simonjohn

Post by simonjohn »

still no luck with the seeds. have been turning the propergator off at night time.. on the plus side one of my pride of madira seeds has popped its head up :D
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

simonjohn wrote:still no luck with the seeds. have been turning the propergator off at night time.. on the plus side one of my pride of madira seeds has popped its head up :D
I have mine in zip bags with dampish soil sitting on top of the water heater thingy in the kitchen. I found 2 germinated seeds recently, one about 9 days ago is now 5 inches tall (eneste) and a sikki seed (I think) germinated yesterday. Had been in there since end Dec.
kata

Post by kata »

I threw mine on a compost heap yesterday, I will let you know if they germinate.

:lol: :lol: