fern Rob

Re: the year Britain froze 2010 . more 4 now

Post by fern Rob »

The year tropical gardens suffered.
kata

Post by kata »

1814, 1962/3, 2010, all bad winters.

1962/3 Icicles on inside of the windows, beat that if you can..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I don't think windows where as good then :lol:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

kata wrote:1814, 1962/3, 2010, all bad winters.

1962/3 Icicles on inside of the windows, beat that if you can..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
your Winters are a warm sunny day compared to 1740.

In fact you could add the severity of those winter up including 1947 and 1740 would still eclipse it. Yet 1740 still wasn't anywhere near as bad as the winter the east of USA has suffered this year
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

well the programme was pretty rubbish in the end, and didn't deliver icon_thumbdown :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

But did the Golden Gate river freeze over like the Thames did in 1814 this year in the USA?

Or any other waterway in the USA. yes I felt sorry for the USA this winter, but they are used to such disastrous temps Stevie.

icon_cheers
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

stephenprudence wrote:
kata wrote:1814, 1962/3, 2010, all bad winters.

your Winters are a warm sunny day compared to 1740.

In fact you could add the severity of those winter up including 1947 and 1740 would still eclipse it. Yet 1740 still wasn't anywhere near as bad as the winter the east of USA has suffered this year

Damn right it isnt :lol: this winter has been horrible!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

The winter in Britain so far this year has been ok, I just hope it stays like this.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

kata wrote:But did the Golden Gate river freeze over like the Thames did in 1814 this year in the USA?

Or any other waterway in the USA. yes I felt sorry for the USA this winter, but they are used to such disastrous temps Stevie.

icon_cheers
Well the main reason why the sea didn't freeze in US is for a few reasons..

a) the salinity may be higher
b) The overall sea temperature is higher along the east coast up to Maryland than London, and therefore takes a longer time to cool down.
c) The Thames probably would have already been below 0C already when it froze, and with no wind, it would have been fairly easy to freeze the saltwater
d) There was strong wind over US east coast, meaning the seas were rough, not conducive to freezing at the temperatures they recorded.

The sea around the UK will always freeze before that of the US east coast as it's nearer 0C to start with than say North Carolina and Virginia. The sea around New York did in fact freeze, and the whole of the Lake Superior chain froze solid too.

ps wouldn't necessarily say the US are used to such temperatures - northern parts are perhaps, but not the coastal/southeastern parts.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Im sure you can youtube what happened when it snowed in Atlanta this year. The city does not even own snow removal equipment. Getting any river to freeze in California is impressive though I will have to look up hen that happened. It gets cold here in winter but this was insane cold. The river behind my house froze. They say the Mighty Ohio river froze in the 70's and people drove cars on it but I wasn't around to see it. This has been an awful winter for all of us here in the US and I hope its many many years before we see another.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

miketropic wrote:Im sure you can youtube what happened when it snowed in Atlanta this year. The city does not even own snow removal equipment. Getting any river to freeze in California is impressive though I will have to look up hen that happened. It gets cold here in winter but this was insane cold. The river behind my house froze. They say the Mighty Ohio river froze in the 70's and people drove cars on it but I wasn't around to see it. This has been an awful winter for all of us here in the US and I hope its many many years before we see another.
Sounds like when we had winter 2010, terrible :( hope it doesn't cause to much damage.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

oh were way past damage onto destruction lol
kata

Post by kata »

:ahhh!:
They say the Mighty Ohio river froze in the 70's and people drove cars on it
OMG Mike, that must have been either very stupid or very brave. One of my fears is being trapped in a car in water.

Maybe it was rock solid, solid freeze and no danger.

:(
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

not for sure really as I wasn't even a thought then but there are pictures at the public library of it. People crossed over to Indiana by frozen river. Seeing some of the people who live around here I would go more toward the very stupid part and far far away from the very brave :lol:

we went from a overcast day with a high of 12.7 Saturday to 0c for a high and 2 more inchs of snow Sunday night..I'll hear no more talk about "bad" uk weather :roll: