First Air Frost of 2014 for some? (14/02 - 18/02)?

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19742
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: General Potential for something increasing.

Post by Dave Brown » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:49 am

stephenprudence wrote:it's not that important Dave.. there really are more pressing matters in the world than old topic titles.

You know it's not cold, I know it's not cold.. we're not stupid and we weren't born yesterday so lets enjoy the frost free nature of this winter, as there is no cold on the horizon as it stands.
We'll have to disagree as to the importance, as posts on Google giving an undated warning of cold are Daily Express material, but using Hardy Tropicals name. My suggestion would be to have something like "What the Models are suggesting today" as it is not saying anything other than acurrent models interpretation discussion. :wink:

That doesn't stop you starting a post as a warning with a date if anything looks like changing dramatically.

sanatic1234

Re: General Potential for something increasing.

Post by sanatic1234 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:14 am

As for current weather this is what netweather have shown on there website today.
Attachments
phpQ1Q0YtAM.jpg
phpQ1Q0YtAM.jpg (41.12 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

stephenprudence

Re: General Potential for something increasing.

Post by stephenprudence » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:50 am

Dave Brown wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:it's not that important Dave.. there really are more pressing matters in the world than old topic titles.

You know it's not cold, I know it's not cold.. we're not stupid and we weren't born yesterday so lets enjoy the frost free nature of this winter, as there is no cold on the horizon as it stands.
We'll have to disagree as to the importance, as posts on Google giving an undated warning of cold are Daily Express material, but using Hardy Tropicals name. My suggestion would be to have something like "What the Models are suggesting today" as it is not saying anything other than acurrent models interpretation discussion. :wink:

That doesn't stop you starting a post as a warning with a date if anything looks like changing dramatically.
I don't mind putting a date on mine.. whatever, it's fine by me.

Fortunately we don't have to worry about cold yet icon_thumright

Kristen

Re: General Potential for something increasing.

Post by Kristen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:27 pm

stephenprudence wrote:I don't mind putting a date on mine.. whatever, it's fine by me.
I'd prefer you did, if it is no trouble. I often find that there are several weather threads running, and once one of them turns into chatter I tend to tune out, and I suspect others too, but if a new one, with a fresh date, popped up I'd tune into that for sure :)

Nigel

Re: General Potential for something increasing.

Post by Nigel » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:18 pm

Not really much to talk about other than the same old rain and gales and flooding , Stephen has done his best to terrify us with some normal temps :lol: but even that isnt working this year icon_thumbdown

cordyman

Re: General Potential for something increasing.

Post by cordyman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:13 pm

Raining again here, no wind. Just lots of drizzle

stephenprudence

Re: General Potential for something increasing.

Post by stephenprudence » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:03 am

Well it looks (finally) like this year or some will see the first air frosts.. mid-week it is likely that a good portion of central areas, and down into southern areas will see 0C to -1C widespread around Monday to Thursday and perhaps incrementally beyond.. It's been a long time coming, but finally, something more akin to Winter :wink:

sanatic1234

Re: General Potential for something increasing.

Post by sanatic1234 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:32 am

stephenprudence wrote:Well it looks (finally) like this year or some will see the first air frosts.. mid-week it is likely that a good portion of central areas, and down into southern areas will see 0C to -1C widespread around Monday to Thursday and perhaps incrementally beyond.. It's been a long time coming, but finally, something more akin to Winter :wink:
Stephen you seem to sound happy with the fact that winter weather is finally on its way? Are you not happy with the mildish temps?

rburrena

Re: First Air Frost of 2014 for some? (14/02 - 18/02)?

Post by rburrena » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:55 am

We have already had around -3C three times.

stephenprudence

Re: General Potential for something increasing.

Post by stephenprudence » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:19 pm

sanatic1234 wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:Well it looks (finally) like this year or some will see the first air frosts.. mid-week it is likely that a good portion of central areas, and down into southern areas will see 0C to -1C widespread around Monday to Thursday and perhaps incrementally beyond.. It's been a long time coming, but finally, something more akin to Winter :wink:
Stephen you seem to sound happy with the fact that winter weather is finally on its way? Are you not happy with the mildish temps?
Ecstatic.

icon_scratch

I cant grasp that some of us have had no frost in 2014.. so my view is it has to come sooner or later. 'Finally' is a remark on that its very late in coming not that I'm happy about it! The weather currently is too cool to enjoy.. however once that sun gets some strength in it, it'll be all better

sanatic1234

Re: First Air Frost of 2014 for some? (14/02 - 18/02)?

Post by sanatic1234 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:13 pm

I have had 7+ frosts. I think some people have just been lucky, and i wouldn't say i am in one of the coldest areas in the UK but then i am certainly not one of the warmest either. When there is easterlies i get the full force of it. It was just the last bit stephen then with the added wink it kind of gave the impression that you was happy in a way.

Exotic Life

Re: First Air Frost of 2014 for some? (14/02 - 18/02)?

Post by Exotic Life » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:29 pm

Nowhere a chance on frost at this side of the northsea but a bit cooler nights yes. At this moments the high''s for next week are between 7-10C and lows from 2-5C.

If i look to the forecast it is very likely that i am recording my mildest winter since I started exotics in 2003.

billdango

Re: First Air Frost of 2014 for some? (14/02 - 18/02)?

Post by billdango » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:09 pm

No frost forecast for Southampton for the forseable future but strong winds will be an issue.

Still fairly mild here but I am getting fed up with constantly replacing damaged fence posts and panels.

Its starting to cost me serius money now and we got another big storm coming soon.

billdango :(

stephenprudence

Re: First Air Frost of 2014 for some? (14/02 - 18/02)?

Post by stephenprudence » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:54 am

It's difficult to imagine with all the cloud wind and rain we've been having but tonight will see the first air frost in western sheltered areas for a while. This process will repeat itself over the next few days.. Perhaps more widespread on occasion. This will be in between storms.

The weather does look like taking a colder route into March but not before more troublesome storm systems!

Nigel

Re: First Air Frost of 2014 for some? (14/02 - 18/02)?

Post by Nigel » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:10 am

well, there you have pessimist vs optimist, I was looking at it and thinking thank god the weather looks like it is about to improve. With the mass of cold air over the atlantic losing its potency the storms should subside. That obviouusly will allow slacker but more normal weather, ie colder.
The weather over much of europe is nowhere as cold as you would expect for this time of year either, so that will limit its impact.
So i reckon the weather is going to improve for the better after next weekend.

Post Reply