Weekend Weather Warning 8th/9th Feb 2014

Delboy

Re: severe storm warning, Wednesday 12th February!

Post by Delboy »

Really bad here, its wheelie bin collection day and they are flying up and down the road.
My dug up palms are now lying on the grass as they were getting battered. One fence panel exploded across the garden and others at their limits. Good job they were being replaced anyway.
Half of worcester is under water as the river severn has burst and the river teme has too. I have 1 route left to get to work and a twenty min drive is now taking 2-3 hrs, not good either side of a 12 hr shift. :roll:
Roll on summer and the drought
multim

Post by multim »

According to the met office yesterday, this kind of weather is expected to last for another three weeks.....
I don't find this stuff amusing anymore.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

multim wrote:According to the met office yesterday, this kind of weather is expected to last for another three weeks.....
I don't find this stuff amusing anymore.
No, its pretty dire, this weather is going to get better next week though. Still atlantic dominated with low pressure systems , but without the storm force winds.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

The whole house is shacking from the wind.
kata

Post by kata »

Really bad here, its wheelie bin collection day and they are flying up and down the road.
I tied mine to the grab bar someone put in, it were hard work as well as wind is very strong here.

Met has issued a red alert for wind, and Virgin have suspended all trains out of London.

42,000 homes and business without power.

So; very high winds, driving rain, Ice and snow and flooding.

Stay safe everyone.

:(
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Fences down, trees down, roof tiles flying off, wheely bins hitting cars icon_thumbdown

Took 45 minutes to move a mile on the M60

Lorry fishtailed across 3 lanes and landed on a car in the central reservation, driver of the HGV through the windscreen by the looks of it, a wall of fireengines and ambulances on scene, only just got in.

Strongest winds i've witnessed in my lifetime thats for certain.

Radio advises to not travel into the citycentre tonight.

https://twitter.com/search?q=m60%20l...ypd&f=realtime
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

cheshirepalms wrote:
Adam D wrote:
miketropic wrote:id take a bit of wind and rain over this -18c any day
Whilst I would not want to experience -18c again 100mph winds and the rainfall of late are hardly "a bit of wind and rain" Mike.
Most of southern England is under water with thousands of homes flooded and people evacuated, livelihoods and businesses ruined. Coastal defences are being breached and even railways washed away. Today’s storm promises gusts of up 100mph and 50mm of rain plus hitting areas already flooded. Although another -18c would kill my garden I would take that over what has happened in southern England.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... homes.html

i'd take some supercold over this storm please too :cry: :cry:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

The worst is arriving here so. Its awful. Sick to death of our winters.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

80,000+ homes without power in Wales. The west and north west coast have been worst hit, and a gust of 108 mph has been recorded at Aberdaron, according to the Met Office.
Thankfully i'm tucked away in the south east but still getting some very strong gusts as i post.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

city match cancelled

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... wn-6701476
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Just drove to Broughton just over the border in Wales and back to Ellesmere Port, unbelievable winds! Westerlies too, car all over the place on the M53 doing 40mph, truly a scary drive, driving rain too, I'd love to know what the wind speeds have been in the area.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Personally I don't think you know what weather is unless you live on the west coast ( controversial or what). :roll: The winds are hurricane force according to the news. I dont know if that is fact or fiction just repeating what was on Radio 4. I had a cunning plan to get up early to buy new fence panels before they sold out in the morning, as my fence has blown away around lunch time today. This is now impossible as 2 Oak trees have blown down over the road and I can't get out. :ahhh!: A real shame as they were over a hundred years old! Also many more blown over within site of the house! Unfortunately the woods will not regenerate due the the sheep eating everything in site. :cry:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Tree down outside my house on the grass verge :cry: Gave a nice lush look to the road in summer.

Power outages on and off.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Forecast just in (contains swearing click with caution)

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 8589_n.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

Tree down outside my house on the grass verge
LEAVE IT!!! A 70 year old man has died trying to lift a tree, it touched a power line.

This is dreadful weather.

I have Yankee candles on standby... :lol:

:(