Daily Express takes its global warming theorum up a level!!

cordyman

Daily Express takes its global warming theorum up a level!!

Post by cordyman »

This made for eyewatering reading :shock: :shock:

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/column ... t-flooding
stephenprudence

Re: Daily Express takes its global warming theorum up a leve

Post by stephenprudence »

It makes me laugh when columnists try to write columns like they're the authority on the whole subject. He knows nothing, and he writes it like he's claiming he's the big guy up in the sky.

So many lies and mistruths in this column, I dont recall anyone saying for example that UK would get hotter and drier.. what was said is the chances are the country was probably (breeds uncertainty) get milder and wetter in the Winter, and warmer and drier in the Summer. Another thing that irks me is how everyone is pointing the finger at the Environment Agency, who, considering the situation, are putting so much effort into understanding and helping people during these situations.. the ones that need to be blamed are land developers who build on floodplains! (and probably ignore advice not to).

These columnists should wind their neck in, and stay out of stories like this which they have no authority on

Politically aggravated crappe like this makes people question and distort the real science and research going on into climate and how it changes.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Climate change :lol: We were told it was global warming and to fix this everyone had to pay more tax.Then we had some cold winters so we were told it was climate change instead.
Theres been climate change since the world was created. Its been the wettest winter since 1760 they say. So what the h*ll was going on in 1760 then. I dont think there were many coal fired power stations,cars ,trucks,planes etc then so why must the bad weather now be caused by climate change?
TAX thats why.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Climate change is due to global warming. There is absolutely no doubt of this. Why its happening is what could be debated. Man made? Natural?....or both?.....I opt for the latter.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
jungle jas

Re: Daily Express takes its global warming theorem up a leve

Post by jungle jas »

I don't see what is eye watering about the Express, the weather is just a natural variable phenomena.It allways has been and always will. Its just been jumped on by the government to screw more tax out of people. Its been jumped on by scientists to keep themselves in over paid jobs, and as far as the rivers are concerned anyone with a peanut for a brain knows that rivers need to dredged except the Environment Agency. Just a bunch of clowns. icon_clown icon_clown icon_clown icon_clown icon_clown icon_thumright
flounder

Post by flounder »

It's probably been mentioned before, but if you build houses on a rivers flood plain, every now and then it will flood. The clue is in the name
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

flounder wrote:It's probably been mentioned before, but if you build houses on a rivers flood plain, every now and then it will flood. The clue is in the name

More houses have been built on floodplains since 2007 (the last time we had major flooding) in Leeds than anywhere else in the country.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Blimey, Daily Express has gone up one million percent in my estimation. They have started to look logically, rather than ideologically. icon_thumright

Lets just hope they keep it up rather than just printing outrageous forecasts.

Problem is most authorities only quote records that a computer can pull out. It is warmest, coldest since.... They all need to learn to read, as if they start to read history, they will find written in words the effects of weather rather than just raw figures. Much of the weather that is attributed to man made climate change now has happened in the past, before man was doing anything, just they were recorded in words not instrumental readings.

For instance a storm in 1287 destroyed Hastings Habour icon_scratch .... until I read about the storm I didn't even know Hastings had a harbour, ever. There seemed nowhere that a harbour would have been. The storm of 1287 washed the cliffs and the norman castle which stood on it, into the harbour completely filling it. Now there is just a straight shingle beach and no hint that anything was different.

Any intelligent species would realise that things change and that you have to adapt to those changes or become extinct. Man in his infinite wisdom blames himself for all changes as he is all powerful at centre of the universe. He therefore tries to change what HE does to stop the tide coming in. It is a real comedy disaster in the making :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jungle jas »

As someone who lives on a floodplain, I quite agree with you Flounder. Do your research before you buy your house, then you can't complain WHEN it floods. I dont know why It's not mandatory to build houses on stilts, if being built on a floodplain, or would that be too simple. :roll: icon_thumright
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

The climate is changing, but it always has. There are plenty of times in the past when the UK had a warmer climate & also a much colder climate, this is a natural cycle that the world goes through, but I do think man is speeding up the process... When you get record levels of rainfall, flooding etc.. this is only since records began, but for the UK weather records go back longer than most other countries so it is still very noteworthy & extremes of weather seem to be happening much more frequently, all around the world...
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

some good discussion icon_thumleft How long do our records go back in the UK?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:some good discussion icon_thumleft How long do our records go back in the UK?
Problem is they keep changing the the groupings so for rainfall they now use CET which is only 110 years, although rainfall record for individual places go back a lot further. Temp records go back to 1658 I believe. BUT a temp record is only for the place it was recorded.

Part of the problem is as more places now record they keep saying records have been broken but some may only be 20 or 30 years.

I broke the wind record last night with a gust of 74.9mph, but I've only been recording wind for 8 years, but I'm sure 1987 was stronger based on visual evidence.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nathan »

Yes obviously an individual weather station can only have records going back as far as it has been recording weather & it makes sense to state, if a record has been broken, how long exactly records have been kept from that station...

The rainfall that has caused all the flooding in southern England was caused by record high rainfall for January (the Met Office do state that records go back 110 years) it may well have been even wetter in January 1066 but this is of little relevance to people who have had their homes & businesses flooded...
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:
cordyman wrote:some good discussion icon_thumleft How long do our records go back in the UK?
Problem is they keep changing the the groupings so for rainfall they now use CET which is only 110 years, although rainfall record for individual places go back a lot further. Temp records go back to 1658 I believe. BUT a temp record is only for the place it was recorded.

Part of the problem is as more places now record they keep saying records have been broken but some may only be 20 or 30 years.

I broke the wind record last night with a gust of 74.9mph, but I've only been recording wind for 8 years, but I'm sure 1987 was stronger based on visual evidence.

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics :lol: :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

And the media... :lol: :lol: