Some pictures from last year...

Exotic Life

Re: Some pictures from last year...

Post by Exotic Life »

Thanks all for the kind comments.

@ Blairs. Sorry but Buxus is not my style. I admit that i've seen some beautifull old forms, but I never had and want them in a garden. The color is more a question like "you hate or you love it". I decided to make this bright yellow, as I like the contrast a lot with the plants inside the borders. There are a lot more other colors to use, and besides that our normal road paint is white 8)

The Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is in de decking area yes. It has a square from one by one meter or so, but the trunc is almost filling it completely.

@ Cheshire palms. That is a Hibiscus from the Newbiscus serie, and this one called Mauvelous. There are a few others from this serie, but are way more harder to get. It has huge flowers during summer and it is hardy as well.

http://www.newbiscus.com/

What would you like to see? Winter here has been frost free so far and I am recording 10C a lot lately which as result lots of plants are starting to grow already. Phoenix and Washy are protected in December, because they are huge I can't wait till the first frost is coming. Afterall so far this winter they never needed protection. I do creatie the protection, that they can be "open", so in a practical way they are unprotected. :)
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks for the link to new Hibiscus link EL! The Redsky Hibi is gorgeous. Does the site sell them?l

Your garden is awesome...beautiful palms and flowers.

icon_cheers
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Exotic Life wrote:Thanks all for the kind comments.

@ Blairs. Sorry but Buxus is not my style. I admit that i've seen some beautifull old forms, but I never had and want them in a garden. The color is more a question like "you hate or you love it". I decided to make this bright yellow, as I like the contrast a lot with the plants inside the borders. There are a lot more other colors to use, and besides that our normal road paint is white 8)

The Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is in de decking area yes. It has a square from one by one meter or so, but the trunc is almost filling it completely.

@ Cheshire palms. That is a Hibiscus from the Newbiscus serie, and this one called Mauvelous. There are a few others from this serie, but are way more harder to get. It has huge flowers during summer and it is hardy as well.

http://www.newbiscus.com/

What would you like to see? Winter here has been frost free so far and I am recording 10C a lot lately which as result lots of plants are starting to grow already. Phoenix and Washy are protected in December, because they are huge I can't wait till the first frost is coming. Afterall so far this winter they never needed protection. I do creatie the protection, that they can be "open", so in a practical way they are unprotected. :)
Thanks for the Hibiscus link, I will look out for them over here. What temperature are they hardy too? Are yours planted in the ground? Just wondered if you had photos of your garden from now. Although I bet all the palms are in great condition if you have been frost free.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I love our garden and photos, very colourful. It's always easy to recognise thanks to those yellow borders and brilliant washy. icon_thumleft
I agree with Kris, it is easy to recognise with the yellow low walls, although I didn't realise it was your garden! Exotic life!:oops:

I really like the look of your garden. I like the yellow walls, the healthy look of your plants and your planting scheme! Favorite pic is the one showing the block paving. icon_thumleft
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Thanks again.

They sell the Hibiscus as hardy here. Here it has been planted since last spring, but I know some other gardens where it has been planted longer and they survived the last horrible winters without any problems.

Will post some pictures tonight with some first spring growth, palms are exactly the same health if you don't count the wind damage.

Robbin
flounder

Post by flounder »

Just got round to looking and I like it icon_thumleft
I don't do yellow in my garden, but the edging sets it off nicely....may even reconsider for here. Sort of Mediterranean looking
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Exotic Life wrote:
I would love a view of the decking area as I really want rid of the lawn in my back yard and decking is what I would go for - perhaps with a sunken pond.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

WOW what a fantastic garden/plants, I like the yellow painted edging icon_thumleft Lovely.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Thanks people.

Here some late winter/spring (?) pictures from last week.

Growth and flowers on the Clematis armandii, there are some shoots on this already from 30-40 cm.

Enough seeds again...

Don't know what to do with it yet, these seedlings at least survived the last colder winters, so natural selection has been done anyway.

Small Tetrapanax planted last year but did nothing because the drought, hold his leafes this winter so hopefully this means a great start to fill the gap in the border were it is planted.

Never thought that I would plant a Fatsia Japonica, but after the colder winters and a cheap bargain last year I did. Till now it did not dissapointed me.

Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

This also did not dissapointed me, survived the horrible winters without any problems. Growing very fast and is loaded with "seeds" which make it quite attractive. Cupressus sempervirens 'Pyramidalis.

Leftovers from the Dahlia imperalis, it produced buds last year got smashed by the storms. After cutting it dit not died any further. Don't decided yet to leave it or take it out and pot it to give it a headstart.

More drier bed with Echeveria that has been outside all winter.

This spring I saved a lot of money to spend to other plants as most of the summer bedding survived or are producing buds already like this one.

Albizia started to grow... Very early, also for here.

Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Last pic from the Chamaerops humilis at this moment.

Cannot wait till days like below that will warm up the palms and of course my a bit more then right now. :lol:
18-08-2012.png
kata

Post by kata »

Don't know what to do with it yet, these seedlings at least survived the last colder winters, so natural selection has been done anyway.
Ebay.... :lol:

Ilove the look of the Humilis... icon_cheers
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Super pics as usual, Robbin. That Albizzia is amazing. It doesn't normally start till May even after a warm Spring.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Looking great even in Winter, is your Canary Island date palm still wrapped?
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

@ Kata. Don't think Ebay is waiting on loads of trachycarpus seedlings, so I will let them growing there so long I don't need the border space. :)

@ Greville. Thanks. Albizia has been always earlier then May here, but I don't think I have seen them growing before April.

@ Cheshirepalms. Yes it is. Don't had the time to take it away and I can't set up protection in a few hours if winters was fooling me. Till now I wait a bit and decide later to take it away. It is tide up but with enough space for fresh air and the storms gave it another few gaps. Afterall it never needed protection this winter.