Tall Shrubs for the back of a border.

Delboy

Tall Shrubs for the back of a border.

Post by Delboy »

Just wondering what you guys n gals have planted at the back of your borders. I'm wanting stuff that tops out at around 7-8' or can be pruned. Evergreen and hardy a must.
I have a 70' border to fill and want some height as the fence is only 5' but in good shape so I don't want to replace.
I have a few plants here for the job, photina, fatsia, bay and bamboo but I want some other ideas.....

So what plants are at the back of your borders?
Adam D

Re: Tall Shrubs for the back of a border.

Post by Adam D »

Prunus laurocerasus or Prunus lusitanica.

Prunus laurocerasus can grow quite vigorously in warmer areas (it doesn't up here though).

Eleagnus ebbingei - very hardy and reasonably attractive IMO.

How about a big Euphrobia like pasteurii?
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Can you grow camellias? If you make a big hole and fill with ericaceas compost and feed they do really well, beautiful exotic flowers early and lovely trouble free foliage.
Photinia Red Robin.
Ceanothus.
Viburnum tinus , plain and variegated.
Hollies.
Plenty of variety, biodiversity and all that good stuff!!!!!!
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

buddleja, elders, fruit trees, psuedopanax, rhododendrons, brooms, clerodendron
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Delboy, the backs of my borders are generally filled with phormiums and bamboo. They're both evergreen and like to grow vertically.

Phormium variegata would be perfect, height-wise and is interesting enough to warrant inclusion at the back of a border, IMO :)

Otherwise you could go for something like Acuba japonica or Mahonia, they both fit in with an exotic theme and have year-round interest with berries.

Funnily enough, I've got to do the same in my garden, replace a herbaceous perennial at the back of a border with something evergreen, so I'll be taking my own advice. :)
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Thanks for the suggestions all, got plenty to go at there.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I do like coloured Phormium as suggested. Am a big fan of Loquat/Eriobotrya japonica. Fast growing, evergreen and hardy and keeps its roots to itself. I have a few growing. How cold does Worcester get? Flooding an issue in your garden?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Blairs wrote:I do like coloured Phormium as suggested. Am a big fan of Loquat/Eriobotrya japonica. Fast growing, evergreen and hardy and keeps its roots to itself. I have a few growing. How cold does Worcester get? Flooding an issue in your garden?
No flooding problems. As for cold, well worst was -21 in THAT winter! But lowest ive seen since then was -7.6 which is about right for here.
I do have 5 phormiums, I love them my favourite is yellow wave.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Blairs wrote:I do like coloured Phormium as suggested. Am a big fan of Loquat/Eriobotrya japonica. Fast growing, evergreen and hardy and keeps its roots to itself. I have a few growing. How cold does Worcester get? Flooding an issue in your garden?
I love loquat too, there was a lovely one near me that was years old but it keeled over earlier in the year. The size of it puts me off as this one would of shaded most of my garden.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Escallonia can be pruned to shape as can griselinia but the latter could end up with black tips after a late, hard frost.
Steph

Post by Steph »

I have a Sophora Microphylla, Sun King, don't know quite why I bought it but it has been a good buy.
Its maxed out at 10' so far, provides a welcome bit of shade, its totally undemanding, is evergreen and a bumble bee factory when it flowers, which has already begun. In full bloom the ground vibrates with the bees buzzing.
I just prune off a few bits to keep it in shape, some years.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

You could try Pyracantha flowers and berries ( until the birds strip them). Bomb proof and trimmable. If you are looking for something a bit more unusual how about Crinodendron Hookerianum with its lovely red bells in spring. It grows well for me. Embothrium Coccineum is a nice evergreen but you would have to prune it eventually. icon_thumright
PaulPlants

Post by PaulPlants »

Acuba and Euonymus spring to mind, artichokes and sunflowers are great in the summer. If contained phyllostachys is great and very easily trimmed + in snow it will fall forward and create a cover for more tender plants.