NARANJILLA SOLANUM QUITOENSE TROPICAL EDIBLE FRUIT PLANT

Addictedtopalms26

Re: NARANJILLA SOLANUM QUITOENSE TROPICAL EDIBLE FRUIT PLANT

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

I agree, it makes sense if plants not only look good but also have fruit! Double rewards :)

Gonna try more things next year
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i fancy trying cannibals tomatoe next year icon_thumleft
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Mr List wrote:i fancy trying cannibals tomatoe next year icon_thumleft
The fruits are very bitter to taste...
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

I found it difficult to overwinter as I always overwater :oops: . It likes a dryish compost and won't tolerate frost.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

carolpz wrote:I found it difficult to overwinter as I always overwater :oops: . It likes a dryish compost and won't tolerate frost.
I've tried and failed a couple of times, probably for the same reason. The greenhouse is really humid over winter but I'll be trying again this year.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Just potted up seeds of this this afternoon. Interesting looking plant.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

you all seem to have the type with out thorns..what fun is that? mine did fruit last year but out of say 100 fruit only 3 or 4 got ripe. tasted aweful so I just collected seed
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

you all seem to have the type with out thorns..what fun is that? mine did fruit last year but out of say 100 fruit only 3 or 4 got ripe. tasted aweful so I just collected seed
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

miketropic wrote:you all seem to have the type with out thorns..what fun is that? mine did fruit last year but out of say 100 fruit only 3 or 4 got ripe. tasted aweful so I just collected seed
damn, never noticed that till now. I wanted the one with the thorns but the seed suppliers pic does not show those. I could have bought a fully grown plant cheaply from a local nursery but I went for the seed instead :(
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I've got a bag full of seed I will start a few in march if there viable I will post some over if you like. when mature the thorns are so much you can't even touch it and the leaf thorns are massive
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I've got a bag full of seed I will start a few in march if there viable I will post some over if you like. when mature the thorns are so much you can't even touch it and the leaf thorns are massive
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

miketropic wrote:I've got a bag full of seed I will start a few in march if there viable I will post some over if you like. when mature the thorns are so much you can't even touch it and the leaf thorns are massive
Is there a knack of germinating these seeds? They are wrapped up in damp well draining soil with bottom heat? I have them (from this week) in sun in case light is a requirement. Nothing yet and it has been a few weeks.

I did notice some sellers in the US selling thornless Naranjilla...until you said there are 2 types I did not notice.