Difference between Trachycarpus wagnerianus and Trachycarpus fortunei?

cordyman

Re: Difference between Trachycarpus wagnerianus and Trachyca

Post by cordyman »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Cordy, all three of your palms in the front have put on good growth. I love before and after photos.
Got a better like for like pic this morning

I'm thinking of taking the very lowest leaves off this year.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Wagnerianus @ Kew Gardens

Beware them, they are over-rated, slower than fortunei and end up looking ugly as hell in my opinion.

Fortunei @ Trebah , I took this picture.

cordyman

Post by cordyman »

greendragon wrote:Wagnerianus @ Kew Gardens

Beware them, they are over-rated, slower than fortunei and end up looking ugly as hell in my opinion.

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Yawn, you repost this on every waggy discussion. Obvious troll is obvious.
Camouflage

Post by Camouflage »

Cordy, yours are looking great and nice to see pictures of the growth over 2012/13 seasons.
I have only just planted mine 3x Wagnerianus and 1 Fortunei, so very interested in how they might look after a year or two.
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

cordyman wrote:

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Yes, they don't all end up looking like that. Something happened to that one. I went there in probably about 2004-2005 and it was pretty much defoliated.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

rburrena wrote:
cordyman wrote:

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Yes, they don't all end up looking like that. Something happened to that one. I went there in probably about 2004-2005 and it was pretty much defoliated.
Agree, its easy to find a bad pic of any palm, look at this disgusting fortune for example, i'd rather have the chunky waggy in greendragons pic above and wait for the head to regrow than this skinny monstosity

RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Around this area, due to the fierce winds lately, the floppy leaved fortunei palms are looking dreadfully damaged and brown.
I think the stiffer waggie leaf looks more durable and seem to stay stiff looking and not all floppy on the ends like the fortunei.
Will see what happens in a few years time!!!!
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

When I moved into this house in january I stood my fortunei and waggie side by side. The waggie still looks pristine, the fortunei is an absolute mess and is going to take a long time to look good. I will get some pics up when I can but safe to say I'm a waggie fan after the recent winds.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I have mixed view's on them both!, i don't believe any palm should look to uniform as it can take some of it's natural beauty away, lot's of my large fortunei have taken a ragging this winter but that's how it is :) , even the big English grown waggy's have some bent leave's in my wind tunnel of a garden, feather palm's such as jubaea & butia etc do look a mess when ravaged by wind's.
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Oh, you know about living with high winds then! Its heartbreaking at times, seeing things battered and smashed!
The three gardens I have made over my gardening life have been high up and exposed to winds!
The Butia is going out in the middle of the front garden, which has a large circle of mini chip bark covering. There is a 4foot hedge around it for some shelter.
I expect it'll get battered next winter - I may try and tie the leaves up gently and fleece it. Will have to see how it goes. Everything here gets a layer of salt which doesnt do anything much good. So many evergreens have been completely defoliated or burnt completely brown this year around this area. Never seen anything so badly affected before.
jase

Post by jase »

Here's mine from George, I hope they look as healthy as Cordys once I get them in the ground.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.03 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (42.01 KiB) Viewed 2057 times