Watch out overnight, the stars come out to play

Nigel

Re: Watch out overnight tonight

Post by Nigel »

stephenprudence wrote:
While the frost over the next few days shouldn't damage anything that is dormant still, it may damage stuff that has a awoken, but I can't see any spear pulls, chopping down or evasive fleece action :mrgreen:
spring frosts are rarely very damaging , a few hours of frost is nothing like the 12+ hours you get in winter,although i guess a few nanas and bixzzie lizzies that came through winter will get a belated haircut
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

well as I expected the temperature is plummeting here, even local station are some 2-3 or even 4C above here at the moment. Very close to a frost already! It's almost certain it'll be two for the season before midnight (air frost that is).

It never does really but if it was to carry on falling at the same rate, -3C by dawn would be easy.. but it never quite makes those temperatures, so I expect a stall mid-late evening to slow it down.. still expect it to be below 0C fairly early.

I am going to have to protect plants tonight, I have no real option.
kata

Post by kata »

Just been out,

I have a beautiful double pink Peony showing first signs so I covered it with fleece till morning. Done lots of repotting this afternoon.

Better safe than sorry Stevie.

icon_cheers
stephenprudence

Yep I just stuck loads of fleece down/on things and put the heater on in the greenhouse.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

It has certainly been cooler overnight this week, but with little rain and nice warm sunshine in the afternoon, its a refreshing change. A couple of frosts are more than welcome here if it gives more of this Spring like weather icon_thumleft
kata

Re: Watch out overnight

Post by kata »

I love frosty nights and sunny days, just like it is now.

:lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

No frost but a cool night, and what a day to follow, gorgeous and warm in the sun.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

cordyman wrote:No frost but a cool night, and what a day to follow, gorgeous and warm in the sun.
Same here... bitter morning, but from around 10, maybe 11am, the sun made it feel pleasantly warm. Officially around 11C I reckon, so not that warm, but in the sun it felt gorgeous icon_sunny
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Another frost forecast here tonight.
stephenprudence

Re: Watch out overnight (valid up to 10th March)

Another air frost for northwest of England tonight, surprisingly, coastal and interim areas are most at risk tonight, not inland areas.

Also worth noting some part of the west, may see a lower mean minimum temperature in March that at any point in Winter.. in fact it's looking like some western areas (sheltered) are at risk of seeing the next 7 days delivering air frost on every one of those nights.

For the south it looks like as it stands this month will be above average finish, but for Northern England/NI and Scotland, might well be significantly below average finish thanks to frequent frosts.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yep...some warmer days but colder nights. Will have to watch my cyathea.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Only one light ground frost down here in Southampton so no damage at all to any exotics as far as I could see.

Lots of cloud and rain forecast for the rest of week though.

Maybe one day I will be able to mow my front lawn again?

billdango :D
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Still no frost here (a low of 4C last night acc. to Wunderground Kensington), slightly warmer days and quite a bit of sun (5-6 hours daily) in the forecast for the next few days.
Last edited by otorongo on Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stephenprudence

Quite a bit of frost lately including a 0.7C this morning.. Our mean minimum is going to be rather low this month!
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

-40ºC here according to my car thermometer.

Mind you I think it is knackered as it was +50ºC yesterday!

lmao