Pics from the official first day of Spring!

cordyman

Pics from the official first day of Spring!

Post by cordyman »

Taken on mobile so not great quality but what a start to Spring icon_cheers

Local weir spilling out a very full river with the sun beating down...

First sun roof open of 2014 icon_cheers

Daffs at back of garden

oesteospumum and gazanias made it through winter and flowering again today

Two t-rexes in the unheated poly already making a move

Last edited by cordyman on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
fern Rob

Re: Pics from the official first day of Spring!

Post by fern Rob »

Always fun spring, so much horticulturally can be planned for, already got many plants on order.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Was a sunny day I will grant you, but the coldest for over 3 weeks. A definite winter chill :| Certainly no windows open in the truck today, and heater on.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Wilza »

Yes, alot colder the last couple of days, had a sharp frost friday night! I made the mistake of putting a brugmansia out to get some sun, put a sack over it and it seems ok.
multim

Post by multim »

Gees Dave, it was not cold around here. 10c sunny and calm....too warm for a coat. Many overwintered plants go out during the day and return inside for the night. Keep your ears to the forecast and realise that (around here) that a low of plus 2c means a low of minus point 5c.
kata

Post by kata »

Was a very cold day here yesterday,

After shopping I went to look at my newly potted up plants. The black Agapanthus I bought late last year is moving, Pink Beauty Peony the same (new). My Tete-a - tetes are out, Daffs will follow shortly.

All potted up in good manure and compost. Standard Rose trees now in leaf.

Great pic shots as always Cordy!

icon_cheers
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Wilza wrote:Yes, alot colder the last couple of days, had a sharp frost friday night! I made the mistake of putting a brugmansia out to get some sun
I didn't make the mistake of moving my brugs inside for the winter :lol: Second winter in a row outside, so far so good.

Here is me celebrating the 1st of March, ~60th day of Spring:

Today, the 2nd of March, I can't even stand an hour in the garden and I'm wearing 5 thermal shirts and a fleece... The temps are similar to yesterday, but there is no sun :(
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I remember the first day of spring 2 years ago, I posted on here I had a barbecue in my garden with a temperature of 28.4C. icon_sunny What a difference a year or two makes. :roll: icon_thumright
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Seems like a really mixed day across the UK yesterday, I guess if you got the sun it was warm, but like today with no sun its chilly :cry:
otorongo wrote:
Wilza wrote:Yes, alot colder the last couple of days, had a sharp frost friday night! I made the mistake of putting a brugmansia out to get some sun
I didn't make the mistake of moving my brugs inside for the winter :lol: Second winter in a row outside, so far so good.

[ Image ]

Today, the 2nd of March, I can't even stand an hour in the garden and I'm wearing 5 thermal shirts and a fleece... The temps are similar to yesterday, but there is no sun :(

LOL! topless sun bathing 1st March, howtobeatthecold.com icon_thumleft
Last edited by cordyman on Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

jungle jas wrote:I remember the first day of spring 2 years ago, I posted on here I had a barbecue in my garden with a temperature of 28.4C. icon_sunny What a difference a year or two makes. :roll: icon_thumright

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh the March heatwave what a sauna that was icon_thumleft Didn't recall it being so early in March though, thought it was latter end?

edit: was this the heatwave >

http://metro.co.uk/2012/03/27/mini-marc ... 3c-365726/
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

otorongo wrote: I didn't make the mistake of moving my brugs inside for the winter :lol: Second winter in a row outside, so far so good.

[ Image ]

You should be a Russian. I worked in Russia a few years ago and in Petersburg locals sunbathe at the Neva banks. To give you an idea (http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/2013/0 ... etersburg/). Both sexes strip down like it is a sunny beach and sunbathe on top of the ice. It can be quite sheltered by the walls and must be a heat trap. To give you an idea in 2010 it took till late April for the ice to melt but it quickly rocketed up to 30C+ and the yellow grass went as quick to a deep green with the long day light. It is on the same/slightly north latitude as the Shetlands.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I can't say I recommend an early start to the year, as I remember it rained for the rest of the year. :lol: We didnt have the girl with the surfboard either. :( icon_thumright
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

seems to have cooled down now its spring :(
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

otorongo wrote: Here is me celebrating the 1st of March, ~60th day of Spring:

[ Image ]
Thought you'd be browner with the way you go on!

This is me, early in the morning on Sat the 1st of March when it was 2.5C. I was doing a 5k run and approaching the finish line. Like yourself, Otrongo, I often go about dressed like it's summer (when it's not)! :)

The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

A parkrun ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !