Unwrapped plants

The Codfather

Unwrapped plants

Post by The Codfather »

All unwrapped and hunky dory again.........hopefully no adverse weather conditions are to appear for the rest of this year. icon_sunny
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Birmingham Chris

Re: Unwrapped plants

Post by Birmingham Chris »

lol! I never even got around to wrapping them this year, so way ahead of you with them unwrapped!! :lol:

all seems okay - I have two HUGE aeonium which were moved in pots to under the pergola and seem a bid bedraggled but not mushy and an ensete m which was dug up to bring in but then left on the flower bed with it's feet exposed. again, seems bedraggled but still firm (took one light frost before Christmas and was expecting the worst, but fingers crossed......).

the only things I seem to have lost are my pelargoniums which have pots with very little drainage (to reduce summer watering).....they have just stood waterlogged for months and are fairly sick. Also in a waterlogged pot for months was a small avocado which seems to be fine and still growing. hmmmmm icon_scratch
pdid

Post by pdid »

I'm debating whether to unwrap my large basjoo. I was gonna leave it till the back end of March but if the forecast for next week comes good then it will be wanting to grow.

My small basjoo is still unwrapped and looks fine.
Last edited by pdid on Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
derrick

Post by derrick »

I just unwrapped my Basjoo .No point in wrapping them so far .I like that you can wrap them and forget about them for four or five months and they look ok .Most plants would be dead long time ago.
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

no unwrapping for me to do either, everything got thro' unscathed, no money spent on paraffin and i've even still got flowers on a fuscia :D
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

My sikkimensis red tiger is still wrapped but pushing a new leaf out so I'll probably un wrap it in the week when night time lows are a touch higher.
The hedychium spicatum still green and growing abet slowing.
Ensete and musa's in the house and ready for moving into the un heated GH
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Never waste time wrapping unless absolutely necessary, so nothing to unwrap.

Everything was fine.... so far :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

No protection for anything this winter. Lots of potted items that would normally go inside were hoarded together in some shelter to have temporary protection if required but they have stayed there uncovered the whole time making a little further growth.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Unwrapped the Gunnera today and Oh My God its gonna be a Monster this year! Put some fleece over it again that will stay there till May ish.
Sadly I think I`ll have to machete it some time as it will just be too big. :shock:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Considered unwrapping my one wrapped plant (large basjoo in the ground) but dont trust our "springs".
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:Considered unwrapping my one wrapped plant (large basjoo in the ground) but dont trust our "springs".
I have unwrapped mine the other day, just hope it stays mild.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

:evil: frost list night.......hopefully the morning sun etc wil help and its meant to get up to 9c....as thats my basjoo, Dicksonia antarctica's etc are now on there own....... icon_shaking2
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Your basjoo will be fine. Mine got hit by a late May frost (in 2010) after weeks of growing, and the leaves turned limp then crispy brown, but the rollers kept on pushing out, and it was fine after a few weeks. :)

I also reckon (but not 1o0% sure) that your dicksonia knuckles will be fine, unless they've already started unfurling, which I doubt. My dicksonia was the only thing I protected all winter, just a bit of fleece in the crown. If we get a signifiant period of colder weather again, I'd be tempted to put the fleece back.

By the way, Cordy, how's your garden looking? You were doing a cracking job (front and back) the last time I saw a pic of it. icon_salut
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

thanks,

Yeh, its been a while since I added any pic's......now is not the best time to take some as the garden looks at its worst.
AKA - Martin

SueW

Post by SueW »

I'm glad you guys have unwrapped your Basjoos.. or not even wrapped them in the first place. It made me think to check mine; I just unwrapped it to see how it has going and water has got in. And slugs and earthworms (!) tucked in little corners! The outer leaves/ stem was black, slimy and soggy but only a thin layer. The rest is all solid and green so I'm going to leave it unwrapped and not bother wrapping at all this winter and see how it goes.