how to keep slugs & snails out & the cats alive

eddie

how to keep slugs & snails out & the cats alive

Post by eddie »

Spring is coming I hope. Last year all the flowers and most of my new plants were eaten. :evil:
So, this year I want to prepare myself and the garden. What should I us to keep those plant eating parasites out? :bomb:

I tried garlic with water, planting Datura's & other plants snails and slugs are not supposed to like, no real succes. Maybe chemicals are better...I'm just afraid I will kill the cats (and my relationship after the cats are gone). Any ideas on what to use?
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Cardiffcol

Re: how to keep slugs & snails out & the cats alive

Post by Cardiffcol »

Hi, You could try beer traps with added salt. Cheep to by on eBay!
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

copper rings
kata

Post by kata »

I came accross a site today that sells a product that is a mulch/slug and snail prevention.

http://www.strulch.co.uk

Crocus sells smaller quantities, I say small 100 litres for under £9.00 + p.p.

http://www.crocus.co.uk/product/_/strul ... 000009217/
Last edited by kata on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

make a STRONG gralic spray......
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Steph

Post by Steph »

You can get a liquid form of the blue pellets and it works a treat.
You only have to keep the cats off till it has soaked in and it goes on killer slugs for weeks.
Brilliant stuff.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Oooo never seen that...
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
ConcreteJungle

Post by ConcreteJungle »

This product was effective for me around cannas... resulted in 2-3 areas of cemeteries for snails & slugs... and no more leaf damage... i dont have a cat, so couldnt say if it harms them or not... http://i.ebayimg.com/t/New-Doff-350g-Sl ... ~60_35.JPG
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

The pellets work quite well and no harm caused to cats.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Doc86

Post by Doc86 »

I had a lot of success using beer traps.

I sunk a soup pot into the ground so it was level and stuck some cheep lager in it and it worked ok, but then I got a tip which was to cover the pot with something like a ridge tile just to make a little roof and the traps where 10 times more effective. I guess slugs like to be in cover.

Coffee also works well to create a barrier just scatter it about and slugs wont cross it, its poisonous for them I guess.

One I haven't tried is making a coffee or caffeine spray and spray the leaves. I wasn't sure about this one but I cant imagine it does any harm.
Lys

Post by Lys »

For a source of coffee grounds call into Starbucks, they are giving them away! They are packaged in large brick sized bags, near the counter and labelled 'Free' :D I picked up a bag that I intend to water in around a plant which tends to get scale - apparently used in the USA against scale and mealybugs:
http://www.fairchildgarden.org/livingco ... s-at-work/

Then I found this :x :
http://www.independent.co.uk/property/g ... 81384.html
…But experts have warned that gardeners who use coffee grounds – one of the more popular organic alternatives to slug pellets – as a deterrent are doing so in contravention of EU regulations. The Royal Horticultural Society has published the warning in the latest edition of its magazine, The Garden, to the surprise of readers.
The caffeine in coffee has been found to keep slugs and snails at bay. Many coffee shops offer customers grounds from their machines free of charge, and spent coffee can be used as a mulch or to improve compost. The RHS says this is within the law, but a gardener who uses coffee to kill or deter a slug could fall foul of the regulations and, in theory, face heavy fines. In practice, the RHS said there is little possibility of police arresting someone sprinkling coffee around their brassicas, but the rules are there to stop people using "home-made remedies in a dangerous manner".
EU rules state that any active ingredient or chemical must be explicitly approved for use and placed on an EU list of pesticides. As neither coffee nor caffeine has been through a UK or EU test, its impact on the environment, on gardeners themselves, and other garden creatures is not known, and its use as a slug deterrent is thus unauthorised.
Andrew Halstead, principal scientist for plant health at the RHS, which is the leading source of advice for UK gardeners, told The Independent on Sunday that it was easier for the EU to include chemicals that have been tested and approved as pesticides on a list, and impose a blanket ban on everything else, rather than produce a longer list of ingredients that are potentially dangerous.
Dr Halstead said: "All chemicals being used to control or deter animals are classed as pesticides in the UK and EU, and must be registered and approved for this purpose by our own government and the EU. Legislation requires potential pesticides to be extensively tested for effectiveness, environmental safety, operator safety and safety of breakdown products before they can be sold and used. Anything that has not been through the system is illegal to use as a pesticide, however safe that chemical is perceived to be. Heavy fines can be imposed for breaches of the laws relating to pesticide use; however, the chances of being prosecuted for scattering coffee grounds in a garden are, I suspect, remote.
"If you were to use coffee grounds around plants with the intention of providing some organic matter in the form of a mulch, rather than as a slug control/deterrent, then the regulations relating to pesticides would not apply. This may all sound rather daft, but the intention of the pesticides legislation is to prevent people from applying untested dangerous chemicals."
Bob Flowerdew, a regular on Radio 4's Gardeners' Question Time and the author of books on organic gardening, said: "Regulations are an ass, but they haven't led to prosecutions. I cannot recommend that anyone breaks the law, but I can point out that, in other countries, people do use coffee grounds."
Mr Flowerdew pointed out that gardeners used soft soap on plants to kill aphids, although this would also be technically illegal under EU rules. "As long as you say, 'I'm not killing the aphids, I'm giving them a wash, but oh dear they seem to have died accidentally', it's OK. It's the British way: we work our way around the regulations."
Steph

Post by Steph »

Tom2006 wrote:The pellets work quite well and no harm caused to cats.
The pellets harm anything that eats them...... slugs cats humans......
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Steph wrote:
I was under the impression that mammals need to eat 200 pellet poisoned slugs to be mildly sick. Few mammals eat Slugs.
StefanNL

Post by StefanNL »

Blairs wrote:
Steph wrote:
I was under the impression that mammals need to eat 200 pellet poisoned slugs to be mildly sick. Few mammals eat Slugs.
Unfortunately hedgehogs do eat snails...
derrick

Post by derrick »

I find coffee keeps cats from doing Mr hanky .Bring back the hedgehog Egel slug killer .