Reaping the rewards of last years heat.

jungle jas

Reaping the rewards of last years heat.

Post by jungle jas »

Went out in the garden today and noticed The Nectarines covered in flower buds for the first time since I planted them 5 years ago! I thought it was due to the mild winter we have just had, however I then engaged brain and realized It was due to the hot dry summer we had last year that had ripened the wood and hence the mass of flowers. I hope we get some insects next week to pollinate them when it is supposed to warm up, as the garden is devoid of life at present. Has anyone else noticed any benefits from last years heat? icon_thumright
kata

Re: Reaping the rewards of last years heat.

Post by kata »

Well done J.J

Don't get bellyache eating them all.... :lol: :lol:
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

In February I picked a few juicy pineapple guavas (feijoas), smallish but sweet :)
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Yeh Kata persistence always pays, icon_thumright I nearly gave up on them last year and dug them up. :roll: :lol: icon_aaargh
kata

Post by kata »

Excellent!!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Will have to look out for some road kill rabbit to get a rabbit tail to pollinate my peach tree . anyone else notice you never see roadkill rabbits or hedgehogs now? but theres plenty of dead badgers about? icon_rabbit
I think all the buzzards redkites falcons etc etc have eaten all them rabbits.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I think its all the unfortunates that prefer road kill to food banks. :roll: I shall have to find a squirrel tail or a feather to pollinate mine, tedious or what. I also think my two trees are still on borrowed time if it takes that sort of weather to obtain flowers. The only reason they survived last year was because I couldn't think of anything suitably exotic to take their place. :lol: Any suggestions greatly received. icon_thumright

Otorongo, is that the first time you had fruit on yours?
kata

Post by kata »

Yeh Kata persistence always pays,
Like crime J.J.... :lol: :lol:

I am persisting with yet another new Peony. Loads of possible shoots coming but we'll see. Normallly the foliage is great but on past experience when the bud forms it goes no further than a pinhead. :lol:

I bought new compost, new manure,and gave it three slow release Miraclgro tabs yesterday. Its been planted as advised just under the compost surface...it bedder flower.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
peony.jpg
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

jungle jas wrote:I shall have to find a squirrel tail or a feather to pollinate mine, tedious or what.
Child's painting-box brush? (camel hair of course :D)
I also think my two trees are still on borrowed time if it takes that sort of weather to obtain flowers.
Pot it, and bring it in for the Winter? DO nectarines get peach leaf curl? I think ti would take care of that too (getting them out of winter wet)
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks Kristen for the advice, but I have them trained against a fence and they are too big to move. Funnily enough I have a peach that flowers every year no problem. I didn't realise there was so much difference between the two species. icon_thumright

Still I suppose the peach has the fuzz to keep it warmer. :lol:
pdid

Post by pdid »

Just these 2, you'll have to excuse the mess as I've not done a Spring tidy out there yet. And excuse the canes as echiums an 85mph winds don't really mix (luckily it didn't snap)!

Oh and excuse the crappy pictures. Phone.
Attachments
PicsArt_1394301330544.jpg
PicsArt_1394301289529.jpg