Which schefflera ?

The Codfather

Which schefflera ?

Post by The Codfather »

Would I be right in saying that schefflera impressa is hardier than schefflera taiwaniana ? If not which is the hardiest as I really fancy a go with one of these.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Kristen

Re: Which schefflera ?

Post by Kristen »

Dunno if any help? but I stored this link when contemplating buying mine
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 31&t=13616

and have this (more recent) link stored too:
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... lla-plants

I bought Schefflera rhododendrifolia from www.duchyofcornwallnursery.co.uk
pdid

Post by pdid »

I'd go with Rhododendrifolia too. It's available cheap enough and is probably the hardiest.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Another vote for Rhododendrifolia
phatplants

Post by phatplants »

Rhododendrifolia all the way
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

pdid wrote:I'd go with Rhododendrifolia too. It's available cheap enough and is probably the hardiest.
Which is what I said.....impressa
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

They have non...... :(
AKA - Martin

DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I'm afraid I'm sticking up for the Taiwaniana, mainly because it's still with me and growing well now after that bad Winter and I'm thinking/hoping if it can get through that Winter, it will be fine from now on and only get bigger and stronger as the years go on. As for the Rhododendrifolia, it's been fine since planting out, but there again hasn't seen anywhere near the conditions that Taiwaniana has endured, so got no real idea how hardy this one is.

Both are nice Scheffies, so whichever one you chose will be a nice addition to your garden icon_cheers

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
pdid

Post by pdid »

The Codfather wrote:
pdid wrote:I'd go with Rhododendrifolia too. It's available cheap enough and is probably the hardiest.
Which is what I asked.....impressa
Fixed that for you. Yes rhododendrifolia and impressa are the same plant although different forms exist. As I said it is probably the hardiest.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

pdid wrote:
The Codfather wrote:
Which is what I asked.....impressa
Fixed that for you. Yes rhododendrifolia and impressa are the same plant although different forms exist. As I said it is probably the hardiest.
:lol:
AKA - Martin

The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Need to find them now........I take it nobody has any cuttings for sale
AKA - Martin

Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Duchy not listing it at present, I bought mine in Nov 2012 and then it cost 14.99 in case that is any help in your price comparisons - perhaps they do get stock periodically during the season, which won't be any help if you want it NOW! of course.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

chapana is my favourite ,
kev spence from GOTE reckons that is the hardiest and it has lovely purple colouration and real wheel shapes to the whorls.
multim

Post by multim »

When I visited Dutchy last Sept, they said that had 'loads' of Rhodo's. If you contact them they will tell you of stock availability as the website isn't an accurate indication.
Desert to Jungle may have some as might Lower Kenneggy.
Otherwise Crug Farm will probably have most forms at a price but I understand they are good plants.