Watch out overnight, the stars come out to play

stephenprudence

Re: Watch out overnight

Post by stephenprudence »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:Already lower than 2C at the moment with a very thick frost coating everything. Somewhat surprising, no doubt the plants that have survived the winter (the half hardy ones) will be dead by morning. Spring is starting to become the time where, far from everything growing, it is the season of death!
I bit dramatic Stephen, "season of death?" Surely not? It was cold this morning nothing out of the ordinary. What low did you get?
Not really, given last March caused damage, and there have been a few Marches in the past that have cause damage from early Spring frost, I'd say Spring, was, at least here perhaps, more dangerous than winter, in terms of getting caught out.

Last night, though I haven't got figures at hand, looking at it, I suspect -2.5C to -3C was the final low. Cloud was forecast to perhaps hit the south of the region, but never materialised.

I'll have to validate that later in the week, but even by midnight it was near 0C.
kata

Post by kata »

OMG, I was so lucky not to lose the Fern,

White and crisp in the back garden on waking.

I also left one Lobelia red without cover, the compost was like rock. The more tender I had put pots on top as a cat deterrent more than frost as I had some tender shoots like the Peony on the way..

Pheeeew!

:mrgreen:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

stephenprudence wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:Already lower than 2C at the moment with a very thick frost coating everything. Somewhat surprising, no doubt the plants that have survived the winter (the half hardy ones) will be dead by morning. Spring is starting to become the time where, far from everything growing, it is the season of death!
I bit dramatic Stephen, "season of death?" Surely not? It was cold this morning nothing out of the ordinary. What low did you get?
Not really, given last March caused damage, and there have been a few Marches in the past that have cause damage from early Spring frost, I'd say Spring, was, at least here perhaps, more dangerous than winter, in terms of getting caught out.

Last night, though I haven't got figures at hand, looking at it, I suspect -2.5C to -3C was the final low. Cloud was forecast to perhaps hit the south of the region, but never materialised.

I'll have to validate that later in the week, but even by midnight it was near 0C.
You should know by now that stephen goes apoplectic every night when the temperature falls, and predicts doom and gloom on a daily basis,even though it almost never happens.
The daily doom forecast can usually be adjusted by adding 5C to the forecast lows , how this is the spring of death is beyond my comprehension. We have just passed through a period of weather the military described as the worst natural crisis the country has ever faced, this time last March it was 2C every day , 2 days ago it was 17C, today its dry and 11C, frankly to describe this weather as the spring of death or to even spread gloom about it,is ridiculous. Stephen , seriously I think you should give up gardening because its not good for your health working yourself into a frenzy every night and panicking about a falling temperature.
Last edited by Nigel on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

cheshirepalms wrote:
otorongo wrote:A low of 6.3C last night, I can't believe anyone is getting frosts.
The flip side is that the south won't be getting much sun.
It's not that tragical, a bit of sun and decent temps.
weatheronline_3_11.png
weatheronline_3_11.png (41.11 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Stephen I do think you've got a bit carried away with your season of death comment, I mean really we had a frost. Nothing to worry about. Its going to happen with such clear skies from time to time. The sun more than makes up for it icon_cheers
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Here's some perspective, possibly the whitest I've seen my lawn thus far

Echium very slight wilt

Day long blue skies, light breeze, basking temps now. PRICELESS

otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Grey and chilly here :( But the next 3 days looking great :) Unfortunately the weekend not as great but still good, and frost-free all the way icon_thumleft
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

otorongo wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:
otorongo wrote:A low of 6.3C last night, I can't believe anyone is getting frosts.
The flip side is that the south won't be getting much sun.
It's not that tragical, a bit of sun and decent temps.
weatheronline_3_11.png
Forecast looks good, but in actuality there will be no sun today, not 4 hours.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

cheshirepalms wrote:Forecast looks good, but in actuality there will be no sun today, not 4 hours.
Well it's been kind of sunny for ~2 hours so we may get close to 4 hours by EOD.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

cheshirepalms wrote: Forecast looks good, but in actuality there will be no sun today, not 4 hours.

Its been wall to wall here CP, for the last 3 days now icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny and another wall to wall for tomorrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643123
stephenprudence

I actually didn't think that comment about Spring season of death would be taken seriously, but alas, I was wrong.. I will stop trying to create tongue in cheek comments in future.. However, I did fairly, and justly explain below it, that Spring is a season that can catch people out, particularly after a mild winter, and especially when the days are dominated by such lovely weather. Of course that comment wasn't read.

I will say however that it did drop to -2C here overnight, and there was damage to a few winter survivors, and that's a little frustrating, however the summer will come and cheer us all up.

I'd like to quash any suggestion, officially too, that I only plants tender stuff in my garden. Despite my propensity to worry about cold spells, I do have one of the hardiest gardens in the forum.. for example;

Today I brought a few plants... Agapanthus white, Kniphofia, Hosta, and even some native Birdsfoot trefoil and native Mallow plants as well as a nice day lily, so to just invalidate any theories on my garden being full of tender plants that get damaged at any sign of frost.

I am a little frustrated that by circumstance, plants that made it through the winter, that normally wouldn't have, have been damaged/killed, but that's circumstance which we all get over eventually.

Still can't get over how the comment about the season of death was taken with such seriousness. :shock:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Reading it back, I can't without falling off me chair Stephen, its one of your best quotes to date i'll give you that :lol: :lol: :lol: Its sig worthy in fact icon_salut

Season of death LOL! :shock:
stephenprudence

Indeed :lol: Mind you, having read it back, it actually doesn't come across as I intended, it does seem serious.

Spring is the season of death, I do actually see the funny side though :lol:

The plants that got 'zapped' this morning, was a Felicia - it would have looked really good this summer.. and also a few of the Gazanias which had made it through the winter.. still some left, but with damage... they'll probably outgrow it though! They were flowering yesterday too!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

stephenprudence wrote:Indeed :lol: Mind you, having read it back, it actually doesn't come across as I intended, it does seem serious.

Spring is the season of death, I do actually see the funny side though :lol:

The plants that got 'zapped' this morning, was a Felicia - it would have looked really good this summer.. and also a few of the Gazanias which had made it through the winter.. still some left, but with damage... they'll probably outgrow it though! They were flowering yesterday too!
i guess trying to get half hardy plants through a 3 month Winter a 3 month Spring without any zapping frosts is a tall order icon_thumright

Should have nipped out and chucked some fleece over.

You seen my frost pic earlier in the thread, whitest i've seen the lawn thus far, just at the back is flowering Gazanias and Osteospurmums i've not checked yet if they've made it icon_scratch
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

cordyman wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote: Forecast looks good, but in actuality there will be no sun today, not 4 hours.

Its been wall to wall here CP, for the last 3 days now icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny and another wall to wall for tomorrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643123
Snap 3 crystal clear days, pity I'm on 3-11s this week. :x