Small B&Q Cycad, to get or not to get?

jcec1

Re: Small B&Q Cycad, to get or not to get?

Post by jcec1 »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Thanks for the advice man, so it won't harm the plant going into the conservatory from an indoor environment? Surely it will be ok outside in summer, we usually have high's of 35C. :D
At this time of year the sun isn't that strong so it shouldn't scorch.
It will more likely flush in a conservatory than outdoors, but Deedee had hers flush in Newcastle, so it's not impossible to get them to grow outdoors, just less of a definite.
phatplants

Post by phatplants »

Very nice, Think I'll have a look in B&Q myself!
pdid

Post by pdid »

jcec1 wrote:In Doncaster, I would keep it in the conservatory all year. They need a bit of heat in summer (as well as moisture) to flush. Here in London mine flushes mid summer and the fronds get the chance to harden up before temperatures fall. I don't think there would be enough heat in summer in Doncaster to allow a cycad to fully flush.
Mine flushed last Summer too, and hardened off before Winter. The country isn't in a polar region North of Watford you know. :roll:

I would keep in the conservatory and put outside once the chance of frost has passed (Mayish). Something to bear in mind is that it's fairly unlikely you'll get a flush this year as the plant will be adapting to it's new environment. It's also probable that the sun will scortch it when it goes outside and it'll look a mess till it decides to flush.
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

pdid wrote:
jcec1 wrote:Mine flushed last Summer too, and hardened off before Winter. The country isn't in a polar region North of Watford you know. :roll:
Haha thanks for that, it often seems as though people in the west or south (where the climate can be 2 or 3 degrees higher) think that up north is comparable to the cairngorm mountains in scotland in terms of climate. :lol: :lol: :lol:
multim

Post by multim »

Hardiness depends on where you plant it. Open ground will have lower temps both day and night. Close to a South facing wall will give protection - higher temps - better drainage. I have one growing in such a position for 7 years and will usually flush in June, apart from last year. The Summer was good but a long time coming.
Cycads are very slow to make timber so although those little tiddlers are good value, go for the largest size you can afford.....for all the right reasons.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Seems like a good buy.
doncasterpalmguy123

Yeah i think so, has a nice little trunk on it too. I would get a bigger one if i could afford it but I'm only young so i'll just have to watch this one grow over my life, provided it doesn't die that is. :lol:
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Our B&Q has had them in a couple of weeks ago and had I not bought a similar size one last year at the Range I would have bough one. They will gradually deteriorate under the poor lighting and dry atmosphere in the big sheds so get one as soon as possible.
jcec1

Post by jcec1 »

It's heartening to hear that cycads are surviving all over the country. I lost two in Dublin which has a fairly mild climate a few years back, so I must have been unlucky.
doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Yeah i think so, has a nice little trunk on it too. I would get a bigger one if i could afford it but I'm only young so i'll just have to watch this one grow over my life, provided it doesn't die that is. :lol:

I have attached a pic of one I bought just three years ago probably about the size of yours and a pic of it today. It has flushed every year and looks much bigger than it did when I bought it. Hopefully yours will do the same and you won't have to wait the rest of your life to see it grow :) .
Attachments
March 2011
March 2011
Feb 2014
Feb 2014
doncasterpalmguy123

jcec1 wrote:It's heartening to hear that cycads are surviving all over the country. I lost two in Dublin which has a fairly mild climate a few years back, so I must have been unlucky.

I have attached a pic of one I bought just three years ago probably about the size of yours and a pic of it today. It has flushed every year and looks much bigger than it did when I bought it. Hopefully yours will do the same and you won't have to wait the rest of your life to see it grow :) .
Thanks for the reply man. Wow its great to see one which has grown so much in a relatively small amount of time. Haha hope mine flushes every year. They don't grow often but when they do they put on a good few inches in height. :D
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Wow jcec, thats a beut icon_thumleft
juneil5

Post by juneil5 »

Where in Donny are you? Personally i think you would need a larger specimen to leave outside.
doncasterpalmguy123

Well I'm not in the town centre so won't get the heat from that :-/ yeah i think it'll have to live most the year in the conservatory now I've done more research on them :D
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

jcec1 wrote:It's heartening to hear that cycads are surviving all over the country. I lost two in Dublin which has a fairly mild climate a few years back, so I must have been unlucky.
doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Yeah i think so, has a nice little trunk on it too. I would get a bigger one if i could afford it but I'm only young so i'll just have to watch this one grow over my life, provided it doesn't die that is. :lol:

Looks a fantastic plant
Kerry78

Post by Kerry78 »

Oh Wow what a bargain you got there :)

I bought a Small one last year I had it on my Kitchen Window sill & it was fine for a few months
then the colder weather came, the leaves went a white/grey colour Eeks lol