Gardeners World 2014

The Codfather

Re: Gardeners World 2014

Post by The Codfather »

Yeh, but not all canna's are like that icon_study
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The Codfather wrote:Yeh, but not all canna's are like that icon_study
Most types can though. I've seen Striata/pretoria and Durban grown in pond baskets for example.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Mmmm maybe that's where I am going wrong....I bake them and don't give them loads of water...but when I do I give them plenty mixed with liquid food.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

one of those depends on the temps type things though isn't it
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Most Canna's i've seen when in Greece are around ditches and grow as weeds. They are almost a meter tall by the 1st May.

Cannas love water. I've made a hot bed this year with some Canna President. The soil is clay based so it may hold a lot of water. Ill let you know how they perform.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mr List wrote:one of those depends on the temps type things though isn't it

Yes the plants need to be in full growth before you put them in water (i.e. don't put dry rhizomes in a pond and expect them to grow well!)
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I can never get them to grow past 2ft. :(
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

maybe its our heat but I can grow them about anywhere. never tried fully under water but they do grow in the marsh in florida and the south here. I've never heard of one killed from over watering either. I keep them moist at all times as do all the people I know growing them well over here..give them water and lots of food and there is no way to go wrong
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

they are a banana relative so much like them the more water and feed the better
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

'Montbeliardii' Don and the team present a programme brimming with topical advice and inspiration for garden lovers.

'Montbeliardii' tackles the problem of box blight in his garden at Longmeadow. It means taking drastic action, but in the long term will hopefully be for the best.

Carol Klein looks at the spring delight that is the cyclamen. She meets one of the country's leading experts in this most delicate of hardy plants and uncovers just how easy they are to grow.

Joe Swift visits a gardener taking on the challenges of gardening on the windswept Cornish coastline, to create a haven of beauty against the odds.
And we meet an amateur gardener who breeds a stunning array of sweet peas to make the most fragrant and colourful displays
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:'Montbeliardii' Don and the team present a programme brimming with topical advice and inspiration for garden lovers.

'Montbeliardii' tackles the problem of box blight in his garden at Longmeadow. It means taking drastic action, but in the long term will hopefully be for the best.

Carol Klein looks at the spring delight that is the cyclamen. She meets one of the country's leading experts in this most delicate of hardy plants and uncovers just how easy they are to grow.

Joe Swift visits a gardener taking on the challenges of gardening on the windswept Cornish coastline, to create a haven of beauty against the odds.
And we meet an amateur gardener who breeds a stunning array of sweet peas to make the most fragrant and colourful displays
I have gone a bit mad with Cyclamen over the last couple of years, but they are great wee plants for the spring (and autumn).
dino

Post by dino »

He tackles box blight every bloody year.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

dino wrote:He tackles box blight every bloody year.

To be fair he's finaly got rid of it all and burnt all the box! Must be quite sad for him

They managed to show an exotic garden tonight. Blink though and you'll have missed it.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

dino wrote:He tackles box blight every bloody year.
And sowing sweet peas

And planting beans - my 5 year old has done it at school. How hard is poking a bean in the soil...
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Yorkshire Kris wrote: To be fair he's finaly got rid of it all and burnt all the box! Must be quite sad for him
Agreed, he said that he planted them out 15 years ago and my eldest will be 15 years old this summer and to have to get rid of something that you have cared and nurtured for for that long must be difficult.

I found the old bloke on the north Cornish coast a bit odd. I could not understand what he was going on about with being exposed to the salt-laden winds on the north coast given that the wind doesn't come from that direction much :?:

The sweet pea bit was boring; I fast-forwarded it, but I did enjoy the Cyclamen part 8)