Cardoons for Heavy Clay

piechnik99

Cardoons for Heavy Clay

Post by piechnik99 »

I was looking at planting one of these to fill a gap between a trachycarpus and a raised bedded Buttia, although the soil in this particular area is quite heavy (almost waterlogged) at times. I was thinking of a number of plants, although a cardoon would fit in nicely (in terms of foliage etc) and would be a quick grower (and a hell of a lot cheaper than the black bamboo I was looking at :( )- although I'm not sure about growing on heavy clay icon_scratch

The internet says its possible, is it?

I was planning to mound plant it, and it is to grow in a sunny spot.

I was looking into colacasia - does anyone know where I can get one :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blairs

Re: Cardoons for Heavy Clay

Post by Blairs »

Mine are growing on heavy clay loam, so that is not an issue. The almost waterlogged is an issue. Can you add in drainage, even forking in bark and perlite to de-compact it should help.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Don't seem to mind our clay either(seen at the back);

ConcreteJungle

Post by ConcreteJungle »

Looks idyllic !
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

ConcreteJungle wrote:Looks idyllic !
It is - too nice! Am well jealous.
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

I hope mine look half as good as that! :D

Have you got a couple of plants planted together or do they sucker?
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

I hope mine look half as good as that! :D

Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I grew mine from seed. Got a dozen or plants (forgotten exact how many) from a packet of seed which probably cost a couple of quid. They got to "pretty much full size" in the first year. I only grew them as in-fill plants in the first year when the Exotic Border was brand new, and thus the big plants were not very big at that stage! but I like them a lot, so they have stayed :)
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I got some good quality uk seeds sent over and they have been sitting awhile now. was wondering what the growth rate is on these so I don't start them off to early. night temps 0c daytimes 21c..when should I plant them
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I sowed mine on 11-Mar (2012), so I reckon "about now" would be right.
Barry

Post by Barry »

piechnik99 wrote:I hope mine look half as good as that! :D

They are just a clump that comes up each year,was going to replace them but they are so reliable we've left them;the only thing is to tidy them up every so often as they can look a bit tatty and can be prone to a bit of mildew.
Also just to say that these were originally grown from seed.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Blairs wrote:
Don't worry you can't see the mess behind :lol:

There is a scrabby bit of old gravel and stuff that was underneath an old deck;we are about to clear the pond out this week-end as it's clogged up with debris from a now removed crab apple tree and the old deck area is to become a mini bamboo grove.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Barry wrote:
Blairs wrote:
Don't worry you can't see the mess behind :lol:

There is a scrabby bit of old gravel and stuff that was underneath an old deck;we are about to clear the pond out this week-end as it's clogged up with debris from a now removed crab apple tree and the old deck area is to become a mini bamboo grove.
It does look great and you deserve praise. The fact that you have hidden other bits makes it better.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Kristen wrote:I sowed mine on 11-Mar (2012), so I reckon "about now" would be right.
best to pop them on a heat mat or just let them go? I put the canna seeds on the heat mat..big mistake as I have a forest already and a month till frost free! don't want the same for the cardoons
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

miketropic wrote: best to pop them on a heat mat or just let them go?
I would have sowed them indoors for sure, so either at room temperature, or on a heat mat, sorry can't remember which. I would have pricked out, probably direct to 3" pots, and then planted out from there when "big enough"