Ferns

PaulPlants

Re: Ferns

Post by PaulPlants »

In my experience, once there is a sold 'trunk' leaves will reach a mature size!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

daz h wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Excellent price!

cheers kris , thats another plant i have to find space for then.
Wish I had been to that garden centre i would have bought a few, don't wait till the threat of frost has cleared they will be fine now, to cheep not to buy.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

yes kata here in the states one of any size is hard to find.I can get a 1 ft trunk shipped for 100usd but that's all I can find. anything else is just a sprout and will take many years to even think of a trunk
kata

Post by kata »

:( :( :( :( :( Oh, so sorry to hear that Mike,

Your summers would be Ideal if not your winter.

Not sure how you feel about the $100 but it would grow you know and be worth it.

Maybe talk to your local nurseries about bringing in new stock of various sizes.

Good luck Mike!!

icon_sunny
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

yes kata here in the states one of any size is hard to find.I can get a 1 ft trunk shipped for 100usd but that's all I can find. anything else is just a sprout and will take many years to even think of a trunk
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

miketropic wrote:yes kata here in the states one of any size is hard to find.I can get a 1 ft trunk shipped for 100usd but that's all I can find. anything else is just a sprout and will take many years to even think of a trunk
You never managed to get hold of one? I hope they don't stop them being imported in to Britain. I feel bad now that I have got so many and a 9ft Dicksonia antarctica on order.
gingelle12

Post by gingelle12 »

if you want reasonably priced treeferns then go to Seagrave nurseries on line and you can order any size for £22 per foot.No ferns,just a trunk.Just plant in pot of compost about 1/2inches deep.Support with sticks to prevent falling over.I have 12 in all.Most from this supplier and delivery charge are also very reasonable.I bring into shed or greenhouse over winter but 2 are planted in garden and well wrapped over winter.They are all out now.5x1foot 4x2foot 2x3ft and a small but very bushy one under a foot.good luck you will love them.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

fern Rob wrote:
miketropic wrote:yes kata here in the states one of any size is hard to find.I can get a 1 ft trunk shipped for 100usd but that's all I can find. anything else is just a sprout and will take many years to even think of a trunk
You never managed to get hold of one? I hope they don't stop them being imported in to Britain. I feel bad now that I have got so many and a 9ft Dicksonia antarctica on order.
no I never did..kind of glad also since this winter was so harsh. I tried mr. treefern and was going to import but his emails were here and there and he didn't seem like he really cared to do it so..I am left with only one source for a trunked one in the states and the price is like I said 100usd shipped.. :( if I ever come across one in my travels around the states it will come home with me though
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

miketropic wrote:
fern Rob wrote:
no I never did..kind of glad also since this winter was so harsh. I tried mr. treefern and was going to import but his emails were here and there and he didn't seem like he really cared to do it so..I am left with only one source for a trunked one in the states and the price is like I said 100usd shipped.. :( if I ever come across one in my travels around the states it will come home with me though
I would try getting one again, I will try and think of other sources you could get one from.