Buying replacement plastic greenhouse panels

lulak10

Buying replacement plastic greenhouse panels

Post by lulak10 »

I need to get a replacement panel for my greenhouse and ideally want a plastic one as I have a little girl (from a safety point of view!).

Has anyone bought them online and can recommend anywhere?

I think it will probably need to be made to measure. My Dad mentionned ages ago he bought some from B&Q and then when I asked him again about it he said "Did I?" :?

I've looked on B&Q's website, but can't see anything.
Blairs

Re: Buying replacement plastic greenhouse panels

Post by Blairs »

Homebase and B&Q sell plastic sheets that you can cut to size - they will be with the DIY part of the store, oddly tends to be near insulation etc.
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

This is the kind of stuff I bought for mine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-Polycarbo ... 3ccd704147

We initially had the single thickness stuff from B&Q, that was until most of the roof blew into the neighbours garden back in november 2010 :lol:
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

you'll need a load of the 'W' clips as well with the polycarbonate sheet (especially after the recent gales!)
lulak10

Post by lulak10 »

Thanks!

I'll have a look at that ebay stuff - it needs to be fairly sturdy as it's the more exposed side of the greenhouse.
pdid

Post by pdid »

piechnik99 wrote:This is the kind of stuff I bought for mine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-Polycarbo ... 3ccd704147

We initially had the single thickness stuff from B&Q, that was until most of the roof blew into the neighbours garden back in november 2010 :lol:

I also used this to replace three sides plus the roof of an old greenhouse i picked up from ebay. I have kids and didn't want the going through the glass.

I would add that it's worth buying some silicone as a extra to the w clips. I used about 4 tubes to seal mine and had no problems in the recent 85mph winds.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Definitely silicon Polycarb in, otherwise it will blow out (or more correctly the wind blowing over it will make it bow, due to "lift" like an aeroplane wing, and then it won't be in good contact with the clips and will pop out. The Silicon should will stop it moving in the first place :) )

Toughened glass is another possible route if little ones / footballs about.
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

[quote="Kristen"]Definitely silicon Polycarb in, otherwise it will blow out (or more correctly the wind blowing over it will make it bow, due to "lift" like an aeroplane wing, and then it won't be in good contact with the clips and will pop out. The Silicon should will stop it moving in the first place :) )quote]

....which explains why mine has blown out a few times :lol:

I'll be taking up the silicone tip when I tidy up my GH later in the spring.... icon_thumleft