Fern Robs Blog

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Tom2006

Re: Fern Robs Blog

Post by Tom2006 »

fern Rob wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:Now my move is on hold I wish I'd kept my order. That said just re potted a four foot Dicksonia antarctica my Medularis and a small Dicksonia antarctica. Back breaking work and still got another 4 footer and a two footer to do. Going to plant my other 2 and 3 footers in the ground.need to free up space so I can lay new decking and actually use the decking. :lol:
What about if you move will you dig the Dicksonia antarctica up? Potting my ferns up one by one . Taking some time and compost :lol:
Yes I'll just lift them. Actually prefer them potted as it lifts them nice and high. Problem is moving them. My four footer is now in a 120litre tub!!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:
fern Rob wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:Now my move is on hold I wish I'd kept my order. That said just re potted a four foot Dicksonia antarctica my Medularis and a small Dicksonia antarctica. Back breaking work and still got another 4 footer and a two footer to do. Going to plant my other 2 and 3 footers in the ground.need to free up space so I can lay new decking and actually use the decking. :lol:
What about if you move will you dig the Dicksonia antarctica up? Potting my ferns up one by one . Taking some time and compost :lol:
Yes I'll just lift them. Actually prefer them potted as it lifts them nice and high. Problem is moving them. My four footer is now in a 120litre tub!!
I prefer potted with my other tree ferns for the same reason.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Seems like i have can to the decision that I'm going to plant my new Dicksonia antarctica in the lawn when it arrives. There is a lot of quality compost topsoil under the nearly dead lawn that I intend to remove and use around the garden. Got the builders coming to extend the back of the house, whilst they are here I'm going to get them to chuck the stone rubble on to the lawn and break it down apply sand and Astro turf the area. plastic grass isn't very horticultural of me but the grass will not grow well there and its a small complex shape to try and cut.
so thats the plan that should come together in the next few months.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

First spores sown, Cyathea Carrii should be interesting if they germinate.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have managed to get some Astro turf, fortunately a friend had some they had no use for, and that would fit my small lawn perfectly. Just need to get some rubble and then lay it.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

yuk. icon_thumbdown :lol:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I think Astro Turf will be perfect for your garden Rob, you have tried everything possible with your lawn, nowt uglier than bare muddy weed infested lawns icon_thumleft
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Deedee wrote:I think Astro Turf will be perfect for your garden Rob, you have tried everything possible with your lawn, nowt uglier than bare muddy weed infested lawns icon_thumleft
Thanks Deedee, No one can say i haven't tried when it comes to this boggy lawn. Im going to plant under the tree ferns as it would be hard to turf up to them.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Mr List wrote:yuk. icon_thumbdown :lol:
Last resort and I didn't want pebbles as they have no contrast against the paving.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

did you ever consider a carpeting fern? I don't believe your lawn area was under any foot traffic?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Mr List wrote:did you ever consider a carpeting fern? I don't believe your lawn area was under any foot traffic?
That would take to lawn and would jot show the stone defined boarders. The lawn gets a lot of foot traffic as there is a shed that is used a lot.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Some of the fake lawns look ok if laid right. It's got to be worth a try.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Delboy wrote:Some of the fake lawns look ok if laid right. It's got to be worth a try.
Got to be better than a boggy pathway.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Delboy wrote:Some of the fake lawns look ok if laid right. It's got to be worth a try.
Been pricing a section of mine up (where the kids trampoline kills the grass) and the latest quote for 16 square metres fitted £1000!!! :? :?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
ConcreteJungle

Post by ConcreteJungle »

So Instead of mowing the grass - do you have to.... hoover it?! :lol: