Ceramic pots with a 'shelf'

samtobuk

Ceramic pots with a 'shelf'

Post by samtobuk »

Bought a nice ceramic pot on the cheap from Homebase last week, and it has a 'shelf' or lip built into it about halfway down on the inside. What is it for? Am a little concerned that if I put a nice palm in there and the root ball works it's way down and fills the lower section of the pot, that it'll never come out! :?:

Pot flares out towards the top if that helps. Sure the lip has a function .... but beats me! :><:
Blairs

Re: Ceramic pots with a 'shelf'

Post by Blairs »

Have seen such pots, I do not have a 'right answer', but assume is that it is designed for you to fill the bottom part with light weight material and the top with soil and plants. Having a shelf would help you to remove annuals and plants easily.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

like this?
US1971075-0.png
its for stacking
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

stupid question but is there drainage holes? If not maybe its for a small water garden..
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Stacking sounds very plausible. Ones that I have seen the internal shelf was about 5cm thick all the way round, so left a large space for planting in the middle.
Birmingham Chris

Post by Birmingham Chris »

I had always assumed it was for strength or so that you could put another potted plant inside it for aesthetics......It would add strength though, especially to that shaped pot.
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Yes, it has drainage and yes the shelf is about 5cm deep. Bit strange to put a pot within a pot if that is the case?!
Birmingham Chris

sorry - meant that you could put a smaller, crappy plastic pot in it to look better or a houseplant out for the summer.

Not sure about stacking - manufacturers need to make the most of the space and therefore cost of transporting goods - there is a lot of wasted space and, it follows, money, if you are transporting like this.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

you can read the patent here, all explained

http://www.google.com/patents/US1971075
Birmingham Chris

blimey! sorry FF - didn't mean to just dismiss it, just seemed an odd idea (still does a bit!)

I have a superb idea for an absolutely slug-proof pot if anyone wants to contact me with money and some business know-how!......I'm serious: it's foolproof, as all simple ideas are! when I win the lottery I'll do it myself and you'll regret it! :wink: