Chamaedorea Radicalis - Seed question

TonyJ

Chamaedorea Radicalis - Seed question

Post by TonyJ »

I bought a rather nice Chamaedorea Radicalis from The Palm House a couple of months ago and it came complete with some ripening seeds. Can anyone tell me the best time to harvest these - i.e. what colour should they be...deep red ? Soft to touch etc ?....and of course the best method to sow & ultimately germinate. I am hoping that this one plant could turn into half a dozen in a couple of months ! Thanks....
Attachments
HPIM2372.JPG
HPIM2373.JPG
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Chamaedorea Radicalis - Seed question

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/page.php?id=32

On the main Exotics section of this website.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I would have thought that they need to be ripe and red. Having said that I picked some in that condition last year on holiday and am just about to throw them away as they have gone rotten.! I kept mine at 30c-35c in a propagator in a see through container between damp kitchen towel. Not much use to you I'm afraid. :roll: :lol: Im sure someone on here will have method. I think I remember Dave Brown grows them successfully. icon_thumright
TonyJ

Post by TonyJ »

Thanks for the link Yorkshire Chris it was very helpful. I think the key is to keep the heat down a bit for good germination. Cheers
John P

Post by John P »

The ones I sold on the EPS recently were red ones.

John
Last edited by John P on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timj17

Post by timj17 »

And they were great seeds John, I have 14 seedlings in a zip lock so far after about 12 weeks.
TonyJ

Post by TonyJ »

Please can you tell what temp you kept the zip lock bag at and the medium you have the seeds in ? Thanks
timj17

Post by timj17 »

Hi,

Yes, sorry my reply wasn't much help with the original question!

The seeds were placed in a mixture of approx 60% Sphagnum Moss, 20% Peat compost and 20% perlite. I too have heard they don't need a lot of heat, but mine were placed with my other seeds on top of my central heating boiler. Approx temps of 20c-25c when heating off up to 35c when on.

I have about 50% of seeds with shoots visable up to 2/3 inches high, I expect more than that have germinated under the surface.
TonyJ

Post by TonyJ »

That's more like it - very informative... Thank you ! icon_thumleft
I may try mine in my heated prop which seems to keep the temp at a constant 28ish degrees. I guess I can always lower that by opening the vents right up. Cheers !
John P

Post by John P »

timj17 wrote:And they were great seeds John, I have 14 seedlings in a zip lock so far after about 12 weeks.
Tim good to hear they were okay.

John