Orchids

kata

Re: Orchids

Post by kata »

Thanks Arlon I like Mike, he is very plant, especially palm passionate.

I saw he was'nt well some weeks ago and I was over at EPS last week. I did'nt see any of his postings, hope he is ok he has given me great advice in the past. Is there any updates on his health?

Kristen I have no idea what orchid my sister has, hopefully she kept the label.

icon_sunny
Steph

Post by Steph »

Mike is better now but does not participate in any forums at the moment.

Cymbidium orchids can be encouraged to flower if you keep them outside all summer, until the first frosts hit.
It's nerve wracking but does the biz.
Steph

Post by Steph »

Mike is better now but does not participate in any forums at the moment.

Cymbidium orchids can be encouraged to flower if you keep them outside all summer, until the first frosts hit.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

I haven't had much luck with Phaleonopsis, but the Dendrobiums really like it in my bathroom. They are in a north facing window, and seem to survive on the humidity created by a hot bath/shower and the occasional feed when I remember.

They flower two to three times a year, which would seem to be more when there is a noticeable difference in day/night temps.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Steph wrote:Cymbidium orchids can be encouraged to flower if you keep them outside all summer, until the first frosts hit.
Cheers, I'll read up on that one. I have a nearly frost-free sheltered corner, which might be all it takes... The downside is it doesn't get much sun.
Steph

Post by Steph »

otorongo wrote:
Steph wrote:Cymbidium orchids can be encouraged to flower if you keep them outside all summer, until the first frosts hit.
Cheers, I'll read up on that one. I have a nearly frost-free sheltered corner, which might be all it takes... The downside is it doesn't get much sun.
They need a big contrast between day & night temps to spur the plant to produce flower stalks, I believe June/July and then be left outside till you fear frost.
Worked for me, I'll be repotting orchids soon and have another go this year.
Mine are really congested at the moment.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Steph re- Mike K!

icon_sunny
acphm

Post by acphm »

Steph wrote:
otorongo wrote:
They need a big contrast between day & night temps to spur the plant to produce flower stalks, I believe June/July and then be left outside till you fear frost.
Worked for me, I'll be repotting orchids soon and have another go this year.
Mine are really congested at the moment.
I don't agree, Phalaenopsis need big contrast between day & night to flower but cymbidiums only need all sun as possible.
Phalaenopsis can be in the garden only if temps are 15ºC or more at night and have to be protected from snails because their roots are very tasty for snails.
Cymbidiums are hardy to -2º or -3ºC and can resist snow short time. I have cymbidiums in the garden year round for more than 25 years when winters were more cold.

These are my cymbidiums today...
cymbi1.jpg
cymbi2.jpg
cymbi3.jpg
cymbi4.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

beautiful flowers acphm!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Steph

Post by Steph »

Your Cyms are beauties, I am inspired to repot mine - they certainly need something done to them.
PaulPlants

Post by PaulPlants »

I have used Phalaenopsis many times in my summer hanging baskets.They create a dramatic effect, and certainly beat a marigold! You must plant them still in their pots, and protect from heavy rain which damages the flowers causing brown spots on the petals.