No garden access in April - to unwrap or not???

cordyman

No garden access in April - to unwrap or not???

Post by cordyman »

Morning guys,

Need some opinions.

Dicksonia antarctica, Several Musa Basjoo, and T-rex all still protected. All looking good when checked on last week. This is the last time i'll be able to get into the garden until May.

Do I unwrap and let everything get a move on, or leave wrapped till I have access again in May?

The key factor being if I unwrap I can't nip out to protect if needed. Chance of damage in April? icon_scratch
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: No garden access in April - to unwrap or not???

Post by Dave Brown »

Dicksonia antarctica will turn knuckles into croziers and soft fronds during April unless very cold, so if left wrapped you may be writing off this spring's flush. Mine have not been covered at all over the last winter. Musa basjoo is actively growing now.

Think your protection overkill, may just turn into kill if left wrapped until May :roll:

You wrapped a Trex !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Unwrap................. icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

cheers :D

Trex is just a pop bottle over growing point to keep frosts off it icon_thumleft

No real risk of damaging frond frosts to the Dicksonia antarctica then in April? Chance of snow very slim?
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Mine have not been permanently wrapped this winter, just something thrown over them when a frost was forecast, three times I think this winter. However you do have to consider he is a lot further north than you two. I would unwrap but don't blame me if they snuff it. :lol: There is still time to get some good frosts, especially up north. icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

jungle jas wrote:. I would unwrap but don't blame me if they snuff it. :lol: icon_thumright
What a cop out................. :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In hindsight i'd have wrapped nothing this winter, and all would have come through unscathed, I still have geraniums in the borders!

But come winter and its quickly changing patterns i'm a man of wrap, forget about it, don't set foot in the garden :lol: This winter has really broke the pattern though since i've been into exotics and been a real eye opener :shock:

I may just unwrap today, but leave a fleece bag over the top. That way if any frost/snow etc does arrive they have a bit of a chance.

ps. just checked and 2012 I unwrapped March 24th

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... &start=150

April 6th in 2013

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=19621
kata

Post by kata »

I shan't say unwrap Cordy...should my advice kill them I would feel terrible :(

I can say my Basjoo is doing something green... :lol: and they are able to stand some frost...

....Dave is that right?

I have still the need to put the plastic tube on the Basjoo with fleece just pushed in the top, thats the only one thats fleeced. I have a double Basjoo thats not fleeced and doing nothing, I cut of some stem ages ago.

The Fern has a plastic cloche at night, off during the day.

Pssst...its 29th today....lmaoooooooooooooo

:lol: :lol:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Why wont you be able to get into the garden Cordy, have i missed something icon_scratch
kata

Post by kata »

Ah, I knew it...I resisted the temptation Dee.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

kata wrote:Ah, I knew it...I resisted the temptation Dee.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch :mrgreen: Have i asked the wrong question Kata :?
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Unwrapped my big treefern a fortnight ago but left some fleece in the crown. Was really happy to have green fronds after a winter,firstr time.
Went away for a few days and they got blackened by a bad frost or two. The hail didnt help either :(
The rest will stay wrapped till mid summer now :DD
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

jungle jas wrote: However you do have to consider he is a lot further north than you two. I would unwrap but don't blame me if they snuff it. :lol: There is still time to get some good frosts, especially up north. icon_thumright
I also have to consider that he has had a milder winter than in the SE. I have had 5 frosts in 2014 where as many in the west and north were saying is was their first frost last week.

I always leave a light ball of fleece in the crown until the knuckles become croziers, just in case :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Have i asked the wrong question Kata
No Dee, Its just no one asked why and you were the first...I thought about it but held back in case it was too private a thing going on...

So you asking made me :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Deedee wrote:Why wont you be able to get into the garden Cordy, have i missed something icon_scratch
He has to go back to the detention center, they only let him out now and again.

Don't blame them either............ :lol: