Today's acquisition ........

samtobuk

Today's acquisition ........

Post by samtobuk »

Another weekend ....... another morning of hard graft to get myself a nice bargain! :D

Had to dig this lot our of a deep raised planter (about 2ft over ground level). Made it a lot trickier than I had anticipated, as this is a mature clump which had filled every last square inch and was doing everything it could to burst out! Had to dismantle the planter to get access and then cut under with a spade. Couldn't go as deep as I would have liked - the thing was full top to bottom with root, as guess it had nowhere else to go but down!? :?

Anyway, got it all out in one lump in the end and safely back to its new home. Hoping this is a Fargesia nitida, judging by some of the new culms being almost black, and the others maturing from green to yellow. Anyone help out with confirming the I.D.? :><:

Now need to decided whether to split it into two clumps, or maybe just shape the edges to round it off as not sure I like a rectangular shape! Given how desperate the plant seems to have been to break out (it had even somehow worked it's way through some thick green plastic inside the planter in a few places!), do you think it will stay close to the main clump, or start to run a bit? Hopefully being a Fargesia it will just expand the clump out steadily if I plant it next to the wall.

Anyway, pretty pleased with it for £25. 8)
Attachments
fargesia.jpg
culms.jpg
roots.jpg
more roots.jpg
Black.jpg
more black.jpg
fern Rob

Re: Today's acquisition ........

Post by fern Rob »

Would it be worth you chopping the old canes off to allow it to establish and reduce stress on the plant.
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

That's a good point Rob. When you say old canes do you mean the 'woodier' looking ones to thin it out, or are you suggesting a wholesale haircut and allow it to repopulate with new growth only?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

samtobuk wrote:That's a good point Rob. When you say old canes do you mean the 'woodier' looking ones to thin it out, or are you suggesting a wholesale haircut and allow it to repopulate with new growth only?
I was thinking the majority as you have a lot of new ones to come looking at the picture.
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Would be a bit reluctant to lose the height and density that is there already, as that 'headstart' is what drew me to the plant in the first place. Take your point though that it needs some space, but could be just loads around the edges waiting to shoot, but not much in the centre where there can't be much room at all to put up new culms.

Worried that just cutting them down to ground level would still leave no room for new growth as underneath it would still be packed (couldn't even cut through with a spade and a lump hammer!! :shock:
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

If it was mine I would be tempted to saw it straight down the middle and make 2 clumps.
Pop it in the ground and keep it well watered.....A great buy.
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

I am indeed tempted. Makes you think with a bit more space you'll get loads of new growth from two halves. Can't help thinking that one nice clump looks nice and mature on its own though.

Decisions, decisions! :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

The new shoots should be bigger than the last.
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Indeed Rob, it is more the wait for them to get there, and whether the density would be replicated that I'm worried about.

Particularly as I had to cut the rootstock a lot shallower than I would have liked, I'm thinking it might sulk this year even with some food and a nice bed of compost!
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

I would definitely cut some culms back.
Let more light to the centre and help reduce stress after the removal.
Neil
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Thanks for the advice guys. Duly listened to and some significant thinning completed today. Loads of 'dead wood' in there and some feeble culms, so plenty more space now for the emerging ones.

Decided to keep it all as one slab as it gives it a nice mature look I think.

Will be interesting to see the new culms emerging shortly. The culm sheaths that I cleared out were actually a lovely pink colour, even once old and dry, so still unsure exactly which species I have managed to acquire! :roll:

Should look great with this year's new leaf growth, assuming it doens't spend the summer sulking! :lol:
Attachments
Post-haircut
Post-haircut
Clippings
Clippings
Fully installed
Fully installed
Lovely early evening sunshine!!
Lovely early evening sunshine!!
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

could do with the hose pipe on it 24/7 for a while imho
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Yep, agreed. Gave it a good soaking after these photos, and rain due next few days but will be back out there with the pipe should any day this week be dry.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

no I mean literally 24/7
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Looks super in place. Like has grown there for years. Great buy.