What is the growth rate of a mature Chammy?

benbaron

What is the growth rate of a mature Chammy?

Post by benbaron »

Hi all,

Just wondering how much trunk these beasts put on per year in an ideal sceanrio...

Cheers
Ben
GoggleboxUK

Re: What is the growth rate of a mature Chammy?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Mine put out about 7 or 8 new fronds a year, not much in terms of trunk. perhaps an inch a year? They are slow growing palms compared to Trachycarpus.
multim

Post by multim »

Per year? These are slow growing and you won't notice much increase in trunk height after a year, perhaps an inch?
Steph

Post by Steph »

Mine is 7 to 8 feet tall after 10 years.
multim

Post by multim »

Steph, Do you mean the trunk height or overall? Were talking trunk height - Chamearops Humilis.
This one was planted around 20 years ago. It already had about 2 feet of trunk. It now measures 4 feet of trunk. Sure, if you add the leaf height it is 7 feet tall.
Attachments
Cham H.JPG
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

multim wrote:Steph, Do you mean the trunk height or overall? Were talking trunk height - Chamearops Humilis.
This one was planted around 20 years ago. It already had about 2 feet of trunk. It now measures 4 feet of trunk. Sure, if you add the leaf height it is 7 feet tall.
One of mine has also been planted out for around 20 years, was a small specimen with no trunk but has now around 5 feet of trunk! I have another that was planted out around 10 years ago already with about 3 feet of trunk now has between 6-7 feet of trunk, both in full sun so take from that what you will!
multim

Post by multim »

[/quote]One of mine has also been planted out for around 20 years, was a small specimen with no trunk but has now around 5 feet of trunk! I have another that was planted out around 10 years ago already with about 3 feet of trunk now has between 6-7 feet of trunk, both in full sun so take from that what you will![/quote]

Nothing really to add apart from 5 feet of trunk in 20 years is normal whilst 4 feet in 10 years is extraordinary!
How about some images of this monster?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I think DB has a Chamaerops Humilis 'Arborescens' that has grown more quickly than the average standard Humilis. Perhaps the single trunked variety has a faster rate of growth?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

My multi-trunked beast has two main stems of equal length standing about three metres tall. It must be about thirty years old. (Planted about semi-mature 1991). Both stems are about two metres high. About four years ago I tied a piece of twine to the last open leaf of one stem at the end of the year. One year on I tied another piece of twine and counted eleven leaves in between.
Jul 13 Plants & Maria 105.JPG
I do encourage early growth by watering with warm water every week or two from April onwards giving me a long season.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

That's a beauty Greville :)

Hope I stay alive long enough to see mine get that size! :lol:
Steph

Post by Steph »

multim wrote:Steph, Do you mean the trunk height or overall? Were talking trunk height - Chamearops Humilis.
I am talking overall height, the leaves have never dropped off, so the trunk is obscured.
Looks like the one Greville has shown.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My Chamaerops has 6ft trunk in about 25 years. Just over 9ft tall overall.
Attachments
2013-12-28 10-28-44 Sunny Palms.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by benbaron »

Dave - have you stopped it producing side shoots (ie removed) or is it the single trunk version?

Also what has caused it to bulk up thickness of the trunk? - lovely palm that icon_thumleft

Cheers
Ben
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

benbaron wrote:Dave - have you stopped it producing side shoots (ie removed) or is it the single trunk version?

Also what has caused it to bulk up thickness of the trunk? - lovely palm that icon_thumleft

Cheers
Ben
It has very few pups,unlike some which become a thicket with age, but yes, I have been removing the 2 or 3 it produces over 2 or 3 years.

The fibre thins with age so is thinnest at the bottom :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Delboy »

Mine is slow lol but that's a good thing as I love the size it is right now.

When mine arrived it had 107cm's of trunk, however the soil in the pot was very low and a lot of roots were showing so I topped it up with soil/gravel (mostly gravel) and lost about 7cm of trunk. So it was really about 100cm, just been out and it's almost 103cms, there's about 2 n half cm's of new growth.
That's in about 10 months so an inch a year makes sense.