4.5 months in a straw cocoon, opening the Dicksonia antarctica. Spring 2014

kata

Re: 4.5 months in a straw cocoon, opening the Dicksonia anta

Post by kata »

I too should have done what i thought of doing during the summer, that is leave the fronds on to protect.

:( Now I have to wait... :(
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Thanks all icon_cheers
Springy wrote:I preferred the original 'shed cat' pic :lol:

Everything is looking great!
That jubaea looks a cracker too! icon_sunny
All 3 are now in the OP :D

The Jub is easily my fav feather palm, it puts the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP to shame, never protected, stiff leaves, gorgeous when a new spear opens, and in fact has opened more spears over the last 3 years than my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP too icon_salut

GoggleboxUK wrote:Nice to see how much effort I saved myself by not protecting anything this year :lol:

Good luck wiith your hernia op Cordy ;)
Thanks!

If I could roll back the clocks the whole garden would be left in summer mode aka no protection :lol:

karl66 wrote:Nice pic's m8 but so overboard for this winter in Manchester!! :lol:

Totally Karl, wrapped for several long cold snaps, and a ton of frosts. Reality 2 frosts :lol: :lol: Its going to take a lot to get 2009/2010 mentality out of my head though :shock:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:Dicksonia antarctica looks ok after all that time wrapped :) but rather than cut the fronds off I would have bent them down so that they could be retained. I certainly think removal is unnecessary. None of mine have been covered at all last winter, are all in pristine condition, and the knuckles are ready to go :wink:
Youve done this a long time Dave, do you think winters are back on track now? Mild and wet?

Panama Pete wrote:Your right there Dave, I wish I kept mine mine on. Different tactics from next winter.
I may just go for straw in the crown next winter, with a fleece bag over the top and fronds bent down. I know i'll regret it though if we have snow and weeks of ice days

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
Dave Brown wrote: but rather than cut the fronds off I would have bent them down so that they could be retained.
I tend to leave them on regardless of condition, as my thinking is that the weight of the fronds helps keep that crown open. So often i've seen crowns with a small, rounded over opening at the top.

I'll see how my new fronds open this year and could be an option leaving them on next winter icon_thumleft
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Nice healthy reveal!

None or my Antarctica have been wrapped just fleece in the crown when it got frosty. Yours looks very healthy Dave. None of mine look that advanced but pleased about that in case of late frosts which we often get. still got to repot a couple of mine and plant out another two.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Good work, belt and braces technique works in very cold and mild winters. Win-win. icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Mummy that the problem I have.......I need to get the tops more open.....which will let more fronds push out.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
JeffYoung

Post by JeffYoung »

I think my little fella's spoiled, living inside year-round. (He's also a fibrosa rather than antartica, for what it's worth.)
dicksonia-fibrosa-small.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

Its growing...slow I guess, looks nice though Jeff!

It also looks overshadowed by the palm Canopies. that could prevent it from being bigger...

RHS
D. fibrosa is an evergreen tree fern to 6m tall, with a stout rhizome and dark green, 2 to 3-pinnate fronds to 2m long, their stalks brown scaly towards the base
Other common names
icon_sunny
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

JeffYoung wrote:I think my little fella's spoiled, living inside year-round. (He's also a fibrosa rather than antartica, for what it's worth.)
dicksonia-fibrosa-small.jpg

That palm on the right is a monster!! Is that under cover?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Good work, belt and braces technique works in very cold and mild winters. Win-win. icon_thumright

concur, i'd say its definitely tried and tested now for all conditions. Just a question of do I continue for successive winters and are we likely to have another narnia!
JeffYoung

Post by JeffYoung »

Hi Cordyline,

Yeah, that's a Butia Eriospatha on the right. Both it and the Trachycarpus are about 10' tall.

Everything in that picture is inside. Here's one from earlier in the year before any of the other plants went in:
butia and trachy.jpg
Cheers,
Jeff.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

JeffYoung wrote:Hi Cordyline,

Yeah, that's a Butia Eriospatha on the right. Both it and the Trachycarpus are about 10' tall.

Everything in that picture is inside. Here's one from earlier in the year before any of the other plants went in:
butia and Trachycarpus.jpg
Cheers,
Jeff.

stunning setup!! looks like a Victorian glass house with a Mediterranean feel with the tiles etc! Whats the plan when the palms become a jubea kew gate scandal?
JeffYoung

Post by JeffYoung »

Hi Cordyline,

Yes, it's probably 1850's (an armorial glass window was put in the house about the same time, so we're guessing there was a bit of a remodel going on; house itself is 1785).

Here's a pic prior to restoration:
JJManor3.jpg
Cheers,
Jeff.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

JeffYoung wrote:Hi Cordyline,

Yes, it's probably 1850's (an armorial glass window was put in the house about the same time, so we're guessing there was a bit of a remodel going on; house itself is 1785).

Here's a pic prior to restoration:
JJManor3.jpg
Cheers,
Jeff.

I think you should create a new post with more pics icon_thumleft All looks very interesting! :shock:
JeffYoung

Post by JeffYoung »

cordyman wrote: I think you should create a new post with more pics icon_thumleft All looks very interesting! :shock:
Good idea: http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=22326

PS: sorry for getting your username wrong on the previous posts. I blame age and failing eyesight. :(