Ideas for hiding pots?

benbaron

Ideas for hiding pots?

Post by benbaron »

Hi all,

Ive a chammy in a HUGE pot - not sure if I want to plant it as yet and definitely not for a few months at least - so I'm looking for some ideas on how to disguise/hide/camo the pot - anybody any examples?

Cheers
Ben
otorongo

Re: Ideas for hiding pots?

Post by otorongo »

Bury it in the ground?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I don't have a pic, but for a while I had some reed screening wrapped around the pot.
I then put some grasses (floppy ones) around the edges.
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

otorongo wrote:Bury it in the ground?
Good idea but if I did that then Id never get it out! http://www.kreativejuice.co.uk/plants/IMG_0005.JPG
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I've just buried mine and your right, it's never coming out.

How about building a square planter around it out of deck boards. Just something to disguise the sides, and run a peice around the top to cover the pot rim.
Leave it open bottomed and you could then just lift it up and over the palm and could be reused when you move.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I always use black pots when possible. They absorb heat and disappear into shadows.

Some areas of my garden are potted as I use tender plants amongst hardy palms and you can't keep digging in the palm rootball planting out or burying pots. In these cases the black pots in conjunction with sprawly smaller plants hide them.

I also have shorter hardy plants planted at the front and the pots are stood behind them as in the case of the pic below, where most of the plants are in pots, but can you tell which ones ? :)
Attachments
2013-08-22 17-13-14 Bottom jungle.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I put nicer looking pots in front of larger black pots like here:
Attachments
DSC_0177_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0177_edited-1.jpg (75.06 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

benbaron wrote:Hi all,

Ive a chammy in a HUGE pot - not sure if I want to plant it as yet and definitely not for a few months at least - so I'm looking for some ideas on how to disguise/hide/camo the pot - anybody any examples?

Cheers
Ben
Got the same problem myself. I've got a large Macrozamia moorei which has to be re-potted. As its never going to be planted out, i intend to cloak the pot in lightweight faux rock, which i'll construct in two halves around the pot. When winter comes i can simply remove the two halves and put the cycad back in the greenhouse and replace the empty hole with a winter hardy plant. The faux rock will hopefully blend in with my next planned project , which is another cycad raised bed.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I've got some 3-ply 3-sided "boxes" around mine. Allows me to change the "Inner" periodically through the year, as I have several "coming on" round the back, and then just put the front-cover on to smarten it up.

http://kgarden.wordpress.com/projects/v ... -planters/
benbaron wrote:
otorongo wrote:Bury it in the ground?
Good idea but if I did that then Id never get it out!
I get mine out with an engine crane - I put a couple of ropes, knotted under the pot at the centre-point, around the pots when I plunge them, and use those ropes to get them back out.