Arlons Blog: Propagating Cycas revoluta "aurea" ..SUCCESS !

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
GREVILLE

Re: Arlons Blog: Parajubaea torallyi var. microcarpa

Post by GREVILLE »

Parajubaeas are sensitive to root disturbance but they probably survive this better as young seedlings.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I was afraid of that Greville. I couldn't have been more careful , so i guess time will tell. If i can get a few through i'll be happy with that.
kata

Post by kata »

Positive thinking Arlon

Talk to them, it works for other seeds... :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Arlons Blog: Cyathea cooperi spore propagation "UPDATE"

Cyathea cooperi spore propagation "UPDATE"

An update on the topic started here........ http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... start=1320

Its been a while but finally i have what appears to be germinated Cyathea cooperi spore. The "green fuzz" in the picture is what i believe is called gametophytes and is the basic, first signs of life in the life cycle of a fern.

Apparently, from what i've read, this is the stage where it can all go wrong. The gametophytes are very susceptible to rot if too damp / wet and one of the biggest threats to their survival is mold spore. Its very important not to open the container too often to stop the ingress of any mold spores etc.
They do have to be kept in a humid environment as the gametophytes need that moisture to enable a successful self fertilization to progress to the next stage of their development, which is development into a sporophyte. Each gametophyte carries both the female egg and male sperm and needs the moisture for the sperm to travel down the underside of its tiny "leaf" to fertilize the egg.
There are going to be heavy losses anyway, even tho there is undoubtedly thousands upon tousands of tiny gametophytes in there.

So, no celebrations yet but it is progress.......................
kata

Post by kata »

Blutty heck, wait till rob sees the Image.

icon_salut Well done Arlon!! icon_cheers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Fingers crossed! !
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Post by kata »

Yes Tom, it looks promising.

icon_sunny
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

BIG thumbs-up for that, Arlon icon_thumleft
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Great news, I said they would show eventually, Hope my C Carii germinate now.
Arlon Tishmarsh

fern Rob wrote:Great news, I said they would show eventually, Hope my C Carii germinate now.
About 9/10 weeks (ish) Rob, the fuzz appeared about 3 weeks ago. If we both get a good showing, perhaps a swapsy each way .... icon_thumleft
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
fern Rob wrote:Great news, I said they would show eventually, Hope my C Carii germinate now.
About 9/10 weeks (ish) Rob, the fuzz appeared about 3 weeks ago. If we both get a good showing, perhaps a swapsy each way .... icon_thumleft
Sounds good to me.
Arlon Tishmarsh

fern Rob wrote:
Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
Sounds good to me.
Brilliant, good luck with yours.......... icon_thumleft

p.s not sure if you have any Cibotiums but i was lucky to get a small seedling Cibotium menziesii from a GOTE member a couple of weeks ago. The existing small fronds died back straight away due to root disturbance ( i think) . Its been in my heated prop since to provide the warmth and especially the high humidity that they need. Its just now starting to send out a new, very small frond . Hopefully it'll continue to make progress and that'll be another nice new species to add to my existing ferns
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Arlons Blog:Propagating Cycas revoluta "aurea" ..SUCCESS

Propagating Cycas revoluta "aurea" ..SUCCESS !

A quick update on the topic started here...........

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... start=1305

A little over four months later and with just four cycas revoluta "aurea" seeds left of the original ten.......some success at last drunken_smilie1 . All four have now split the seed casing and one is putting out a shoot/root.

The shooter..............

This little fella needs to be taken out of the seedbox as it now needs light as well as warmth. So, once again i'm using the split pop bottle / mini greenhouse method. It's in pure moist perlite at the moment until i can pop out and get some cactus mix.

Back on with the bottle top and then back into the heated prop...........

Although there's no guarantee it'll have the "aurea" traits, despite both parents being "aurea" themselves, at least its a step in the right direction. Hopefully the other three remaining seeds will shoot soon, although i'm told there's no guarantee of that either just because the casing has split.

Happy days...........
Last edited by Arlon Tishmarsh on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kata

Re: Arlons Blog: Propagating Cycas revoluta "aurea" ..SUCCES

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol: Brilliant and love the bottle Idea Arlon............ icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Arlons Blog: Propagating Cycas revoluta "aurea" ..SUCCES

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Well done that man. :D