Which Bamboo is best as a hedge?

Andy

Which Bamboo is best as a hedge?

Post by Andy »

Hi All, I have been looking at Bamboos and trying to work out which one might be best as a medium sized hedge - does anybody have any good advice?

Specifically, I have a Ceonothus and other shrubs in a bit of the garden that is elevated, about 1m deep and behind a 1m high retaining wall, meaning the garden of the neighbours behind is at a higher level. The Ceonothus was very badly damaged in the winter winds and needs to come out - I have attached a pic below for context (the Ceonothus is in the background behind the Trachycarpus). So, I was thinking about filling the gap with a nice looking bamboo. I don't mind it spreading a bit (though I will use a barrier), but don't want it to be ridiculously high - 2 - 3m would be ideal... Any suggestions?

Cheers!
Attachments
Full page photo.pdf
(655.71 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
ConcreteJungle

Re: Which Bamboo is best as a hedge?

Post by ConcreteJungle »

Fargesia scabrida Asian wonder, non invasive and reaches 2-3 metres, no need for root barrier. Culms look beautiful against its leaves. I love mine. My next purchase is the fargesia jiu 1. Around 2.5 metres with a reddish culm appearance. Again non invasive
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Concrete - how tall is your scabrida now? Got any pics? I have a couple of pots that are fairly dense but only 25cm or so tall - wondering how many seasons they'll need to get up to 2m plus, as that will influence where I put them!

Andy - as for bamboos, if you don't go the Fargeia route, there's a whole range of Phyllostachys to choose from - depending on what colour culms you want - should be able to keep them in check and not get too high! :| aureosulcata look good in my garden right now with the bright yellow culms!
Andy

Post by Andy »

Ah thanks for the info! The Fargesia looks lovely - have just been browsing pics on the net. They do all seem to be different sizes, but from what I have read, they can get to a decent height without taking over. I do like the Phyllostachys too - love the yellow culms! It would be nice to have something colourful as well as bushy. I had looked at Phyllostachys Japonica in B&Q, as it had nice big leaves, but just worried that it might get a bit on the tall side! Anyway, thanks for advice so far!
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Maurelli super jumbo grow's well as a hedge, nice & bushy but very easy to manage. karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Fergasia Robusta Campbell loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeely boo, very very quick to form a decent hedge, dense, wind proof, scorch proof, and doesnt run icon_thumleft

before and afters...

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

How tall does that get cordy?
ConcreteJungle

Post by ConcreteJungle »

4-5 metres - BUT - with any fargesia you can cut a culm at a certain height and it will never grow taller. So you can get a 2--3 metre robusta with some topping off. Its meant to be really good against wind, so ideal for exposed locations.
ConcreteJungle

Post by ConcreteJungle »

samtobuk wrote:Concrete - how tall is your scabrida now? Got any pics? I have a couple of pots that are fairly dense but only 25cm or so tall - wondering how many seasons they'll need to get up to 2m plus, as that will influence where I put them!
Bought start of this year - 30Litre, its around 1.2 metres tall i think - and 10-15 new culms already shooting from the ground. If its in pots its growth may get stunted as it likes to get slightly wider over time for new culms, Not sure how long it takes but i read if u prune off to the ground the thin canes, and any that look weak - it will help more new thicker, stronger culms shoot from the ground, but temporarily it thins out the bamboo for different looks. As demonstrated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHkAcGufrK8
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Sounds perfect for me, added to my ever increasing wants list.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Del, I've got load of fargesia Campbell, if you can wait a little while I will be separating some grove's, you can have at the right money :wink: .