Winter 2017-18 losses

Tom2006

Winter 2017-18 losses

Post by Tom2006 »

So via the social media sites I'm seeing a couple of posts every day from poeple with badly damaged/dying or dead plants, in particular Dicksonia antarctica.

What have people lost after our nasty winter just gone?

Personally I have lost some basjoo but thankfully all my wrapping has seemingly saved everything else.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
MonkeyDavid

Re: Winter 2017-18 losses

Post by MonkeyDavid »

My treeferns are all in rude health but only because every winter I cut all the fronds off and wrap well (as if another Dec' 10 is coming)
However, my biggest concern is the state of my cordylines as they have quite a bit of damage, almost every growing point has pulled out but at the moment are still alive (oddly one undamaged one is flowering).
All 11 of my phormiums got completely flattened by the snow so they have have been cut right back and are recovering surprisingly fast.
My Melianthus major is dead,
My Oleander has taken a hit with some die back but recently has started pushing out green shoots.
I have lost some basjoo stems but still got a few big ones remaining, must have done a better job protecting them.
My Gunnera lost a few growth points but kept others, did me a favour as it was getting too big.
T rex growth points turned to mush but new ones growing in their place, still kept the 6 foot height.
All my fortunei's, waggys and nova are untouched, as are Chamaerops humilis, vulcano and cerifera.
Everything was a month late starting into growth this year.
Thanks
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

My potted T rex and Begonia palmatum are both dead.

I had to cut my Euphorbia pasteurii to the ground due to mechanical damage caused by the snow.

My Trillium chloropetalum var. giganteum never showed this year, I am not sure if it is dead or it just couldn't be bothered growing because it was so cold in late winter/early spring.
kata

Post by kata »

The fern I bought off Blairs is dead but I continue to water it. I did cover with fleece.

Never say never!

My Seagrove fern is in great condition.
Attachments
42BFF4E6-5E43-4D72-AB4E-1DBF20ABC3E1.jpeg
karl66

Post by karl66 »

All my large phormiums were trashed and I've dug most up as they look crappe. Again my cordyline look rubbish apart from two... Growing points in a bad way. Massive rare butia caterinensis spear pulled so I've given it to a member in Portsmouth to try to revive it!. Six large lorerpetulum shrubs dead. Four large callistemon leavis shrubs dead. Four 1ft dicksonia dead... Only 3ft and above survived but all were wrapped. Rare f1 jubutia dead. Eight massive nandia domestica defoliated but now coming back. Large brahea armata almost dead. Massive cerifera.. I've had to cut off all foliage but growing strong. Melianthos major dead. Loads of lobelia dead lots of other ferns /shrubs badly damaged.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

This forum...;(
kata

Post by kata »

Yes Blairs.... :roll:
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Damage here was minimal. Phoenix theophrasti totally trashed but don't know if dead. All other palms... Trachies, Butias. Chamaerops all OK but a C. h. vulcano suffered terribly with fungal issues. Nerium oleander "Atlas" had die back on main growth points but is now re-shooting. Musa Basjoo which was protected is ok but Sikkimensis died right back and is coming back the roots. Nolinas and dasylirions ... no issues, Yucca carnerosana damage on head but now regrowing. Snow damage on large Y rostrata. Two large Dicksonia antartica.. no problems, Cordyline australis and Indivisa no issues. Best news was zero damage on the six species of Schefflera I have. Lowest temperature was -8°C back in December with the snow.
daz h

Post by daz h »

2 phormiums and a cipd have had it , one cordyline looks very sorry for itself , but one the bright side my dinner plate dahlias which I didn't bother to dig up are coming back and for the first time ever I've managed to get my fuschias to survive . Plus also losing a few plants means I can buy some new ones to take there place so not too bothered
MonkeyDavid

Post by MonkeyDavid »

Noticed today my Melianthus major which I thought was dead has 3 new shoots coming from the base.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

MonkeyDavid wrote:Noticed today my Melianthus major which I thought was dead has 3 new shoots coming from the base.
They are pretty root hardy.
ianmck

Post by ianmck »

My Dicksonia antarctica took major damage. It has only one green frond, just currently starting to unravel. The rest were all totally black inside. I cut them out as best as I could then started getting orange sap around the area. Just spotted another green frond trying to push through beside it, although will probably have issues with crown narrowing as the lower section of the dead fronds will still be in the way.

Gunnera manicata was killed back to ground again but is resprouting from the roots.

Trex was top killed on the softer growth for the first time and now has 5-6 growing points further down but so far is producing smaller leaves. It has also seemingly thrown up a pup over six feet away, coming up through stones beside the patio. :shock: Last year it produced one pup at the base of the plant which did not survive the winter.

Chammy cerifera was totally killed after two poor years and was already in decline.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

When I inspected my plants on a visit to the UK end of January/early February their good health along with the long range forecast for the rest of the winter suggested no losses......until the beast from the east had other ideas.

Not being able to give protection to the vulnerable meant when I came back late April i saw most of my mature Aloes turned to mush. Not just those kept dry outside in sheltered corners but all that were kept in the unheated greenhouse perished too. A.barbadensis, ferox, aborescens and arborescens variegata among them. Striatula and dichotoma survived.

Among the shrubs in the greenhouse lost were Brugmansia cornigera and sanguineum as well as a couple of Sparmannia Africana and an old Telanthophora grandiflora.No palm losses except a Parajubaea macrocarpa spear pull.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Wow...so sorry to hear so much has been killed or damaged. Let's hope summer 2018 is a long one and next winter never really arrives.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
DiCasS

Winter 2017-18 losses

Post by DiCasS »

I got off quite lightly in the end really compared to some. I lost my Butia Capitata and will probably give it one last shot as I do love Butias. This will be my third one. I've read of quite a few Butia casualties this year.

Lapageria. I lost my Lapageria :(. I said I wouldn't try again, but I succumbed and ordered more seeds. They have germinated. I am such a weak person.

BTW where are the emojis.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.