Heatwave

Tom2006

Heatwave

Post by Tom2006 »

Got the beers on ice we have a heatwave inbound!! In fact get the watering cans and hosepipes at the ready as well because there is absolutely no rain in site for the rest of the month. Could be widespread 25-30C next week.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Blairs

Heatwave

Post by Blairs »

Hopefully, as already promised the kids a pool party next week.
Tom2006

Heatwave

Post by Tom2006 »

Blairs wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:58 pm Hopefully, as already promised the kids a pool party next week.
Looks a good idea. Think I'll be getting the kids paddling pool out again.
Sparrow

Heatwave

Post by Sparrow »

As we've had a grand total of 3mm rain here so far this month, the watering cans and hosepipes are already out and in use! Looks like it will continue...
otorongo

Heatwave

Post by otorongo »

Today I noticed some plants in the garden dying or already dead. It looks like after the killing winter we're in for a killing summer. I was going to buy some plants, buy may be better to wait until September to avoid the struggle of keeping them alive.

My flip-flops on the patio have melted again.
Blairs

Heatwave

Post by Blairs »

Was not expecting that Otorongo. Thought you were going to say that you could see plants growing. Have you been watering?

We are now forecast 30c for 2 days. The pool is still out and the solar lid has kept it warm. Long may it continue as don’t get those often.
Tom2006

Heatwave

Post by Tom2006 »

otorongo wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:46 pm Today I noticed some plants in the garden dying or already dead. It looks like after the killing winter we're in for a killing summer. I was going to buy some plants, buy may be better to wait until September to avoid the struggle of keeping them alive.

My flip-flops on the patio have melted again.
Which plant's have died? You have to water a great deal in this weather. Apart from my grass I'm watering everything almost every day at the moment.

As for the flip flops, you need to buy a better brand.😂
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Blairs

Heatwave

Post by Blairs »

As for the flip flops, you need to buy a better brand.😂
He must have those cheap lightweight foamy ones as the rubber ones don’t melt: had them in Florida and California and they did not turn to lava.
otorongo

Heatwave

Post by otorongo »

I thought the flip-flops were rubber, but on closer inspection it seems to be some kind of foam. The patio slabs get very hot, much hotter than the air or grass, and you can't walk on them barefoot, but I guess you could fry eggs :)

I'm a low maintenance gardener and not one to water the garden every day, if I had to do that I'd replace my plants with drought-resistant ones, and that may well happen, with natural selection doing the first part of the job.
tatter

Heatwave

Post by tatter »

45 deg c recorded in sun today at 1-30 pm had to water my impatiens tinctoria just now despite watering last night. icon_sunny
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Blairs

Heatwave

Post by Blairs »

45c?
otorongo

Heatwave

Post by otorongo »

If it was in the sun then 45C is nothing unusual, even 80C wouldn't be. Temps in the sun are more indicative of the colour, shape, material and aspect of the thermometer than the perceived heat, that's why temperatures are normally measured in the shade.
Blairs

Heatwave

Post by Blairs »

otorongo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:56 pm If it was in the sun then 45C is nothing unusual, even 80C wouldn't be. Temps in the sun are more indicative of the colour, shape, material and aspect of the thermometer than the perceived heat, that's why temperatures are normally measured in the shade.
I get that: my garage was 30c on a sunny day in Feb this year (I have been monitoring temperatures in there).

45c is not the real temperature though: just that the thermometer was left in the sun.
otorongo_

Heatwave

Post by otorongo_ »

What I've lost to this summer so far:

Trachelospermum jasminoides 'Variegatum'
Gardenia 'Kleims Hardy'
Acacia baileyana 'Purpurea': it died back last winter and struggled to spring back from near the base, but that new growth is toast now and unlikely to come back
otorongo

Heatwave

Post by otorongo »

Jasminum officinale 'Clotted Cream' is joining the summer 2018 casualties list.