Lapageria rosea

stephenprudence

Lapageria rosea

Post by stephenprudence »

This seems an impossible plant to get hold of.. does anyone know anywhere that sells it (even if only distributing next year), it also seems very expensive!
joolz68

Re: Lapageria rosea

Post by joolz68 »

Ive seen this site http://www.charleshurstplants.co.uk/id8.html you have to email or by order form but its £17.50 which i think its worth :D
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

They are very slow to bulk up, a good garden worthy plant will be around 5 years old and they die for a past time so any grower will have lost loads before they get to start selling them.

If you just want to grow the species then fresh seed is the way to go, http://www.chileflora.com sell fresh seed in our spring and I have had up to 100% from michaels seed. in the autumn http://tomorrowsplants.com sometimes has spare seed. Lots of seed growing tips on my web site from various sources

If you are intending to visit Cornwall then get in contact and I can sort you a plant out, but I have had bad experiances sending, they don't seem to like having their roots shaken up at all
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Thanks, Ill give them a bell and see if they have anything icon_thumleft
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I got one for 17 quid last spring including shipping (or was it 27?), can't remember the vendor's name. It was about 2ft tall and put out a big flower (just one, hopefully more next season!) in August or early September, which lasted until I accidentally knocked it off in late November. The plant didn't bat an eyelid at the frost.

It has also grown a fair bit, it's not a slow grower like it's made out to be. It seems to have a long dormancy period when it just does nothing, but when it's not dormant it's rampant.

No slug / pest issues, no rot, evergreen so far (we've had -3.5C).
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

It's flowering again; one flower fully open, one almost open, and 3 more on their way.

I've just read its fruit its edible and delicious. It's pollinated by native hummingbirds and a native bumblebee, in their absence hand-pollination is the only way, and not all cultivars are self-fertile. Just wondering if there is any chance I could get ripe fruit from my plant (if I hand pollinate and it's self-fertile, which I don't know if it is)?

BTW it's not true it's a slow grower. Mine really took off this past spring and doubled or tripled in size. Not as rampant is Passiflora or Eccremocarpus, but definitely not slow. It did, however, stop growth in the summer, I guess it was too hot for it. In its native region the temps don't go much above 16C. So yes, it does grow fast, but only within a narrow window in spring. Outside of that window and the autumn flowering it does nothing.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

otorongo wrote:I guess it was too hot for it
I have read (and seen Charlie Pridham say it here too I think) that they must be well shaded in Summer, including their roots.
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

otorongo wrote:It's flowering again; one flower fully open, one almost open, and 3 more on their way.

I've just read its fruit its edible and delicious. It's pollinated by native hummingbirds and a native bumblebee, in their absence hand-pollination is the only way, and not all cultivars are self-fertile. Just wondering if there is any chance I could get ripe fruit from my plant (if I hand pollinate and it's self-fertile, which I don't know if it is)?

BTW it's not true it's a slow grower. Mine really took off this past spring and doubled or tripled in size. Not as rampant is Passiflora or Eccremocarpus, but definitely not slow. It did, however, stop growth in the summer, I guess it was too hot for it. In its native region the temps don't go much above 16C. So yes, it does grow fast, but only within a narrow window in spring. Outside of that window and the autumn flowering it does nothing.

I would agree once they get to about year 4 from seed or cutting they can get a bit of a wiggle on! Summer dormancy is normal they do nearly all their growing and flowering during the cooler parts of the year apart from Flesh Pink - which can start flowering June and still be in flower in April, most seem to be September to March.

They are unfortunately self sterile but very occasionally you can hand pollinate, bear in mind that stigma is receptive immediately after the flower opens for about 2 days, the pollen ripens later from about day 4 on. If you can get hold of ripe pollen from an unrelated plant (it travels well in the post) then pollination is much better and you get proper sized fruits which are very sweet and tasty unlike selfing which produces at best poor misshaped fruits with few seeds that normally do badly
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Stephen, I had good germination with seeds from chileflora.com. I ordered mine late Springtime/early Summer I think and was really pleased with the quality of seeds, but having lost a lot of those germinated for one reason or another, I ordered another lot later on in the year and unfortunately I had little success with germination from the second batch.

Beautiful plants, but as yet have to wait for a flower.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I don't know where the idea comes from that Lapageria is a slow grower.

Maybe it is slow to get going after planting, but once it has taken off it doesn't want to stop. Mine has been actively growing since Feb, with multiple growing tips, and - judging by last year - it should grow all the way through to June when it will become too hot for it.

I planted it in spring 2012, it didn't grow much in its first year but in 2013 it became like 5 times bigger. I wonder what this year will bring...

I'd like to get another one, maybe a different colour (white?) for a sheltered dull brick wall just outside the back door. They're not the easiest to find though, and I don't have the patience to germinate them from seed.
DiCasS

Lapageria rosea

Post by DiCasS »

Said I wouldn't try these again, but as being as they are so beautiful, I have :lol:

Again, I bought my seeds from Chileflora earlier in the year, went on holiday for a couple of weeks and left them in the not so capable hands of my non-gardening daughter. Came back and am pleased to say they are in perfect condition. I have just over 40 germinated now and no doubt more will germinate in the coming weeks, I'm sure as some are still popping up now.

I've always used Charlie's page to germinate and would recommend a read if anyone wants to try their hand at germination.

Anyway, the reason I tried again is because I lost mine during the Winter and was gutted. I loved the flowers on this plant, probably more than most others I have.

Also, I now realise that my daughter is not such a bad gardener after all. She watered my garden daily, and many pots, during the hot weather and have to say, I haven't lost one plant. 8) icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
otorongo

Lapageria rosea

Post by otorongo »

I'm afraid my Lapageria, which I got earlier this year from Charlie, is not going to make it through this horrid summer :( It doesn't wilt, but rather the leaves lose the green pigment and turn crispy slowly over time, which doesn't draw watering attention until it's too late. Even if it had been watered daily, I'm not sure if 30C and baking sun every day for weeks on end is something it can handle, coming from the Valdivian forests.
DiCasS

Lapageria rosea

Post by DiCasS »

They needs shade. I have mine (or did have) on the north side of my Trachycarpus and have had no problems with it prior to this Winter. The only downside were the small snails that used to feast on it. :(

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.