Aspidistra

beryl

Re: Aspidistra

Post by beryl »

Hi Thanks for your reply. I also think that fungal knats are a big contender in the area of pollination for Aspi's. My Aspi's have never grown in a garden, or seen a slug or snail. They have always been house plants. Fungal knats are a constant souce of irritation for me concerning Aspi's. They do like damp conditions in the plant's compost. So keeping the Aspi's as dry as possible is an ongoing theme for me. Two of my plants produced flowers two winters ago. Fungal knats can make the roots mushy and die off. I find that keeping the plants separate from one another in the house can help with the knat problem. Best wishes Beryl
multim

Post by multim »

You're welcome. Perhaps you could try some root division, growing on and then giving the new plant a go in the garden?
Mine grow in dappled shade and only get watered when it rains. Fungal gnats....no fun at all!
beryl

Post by beryl »

Hello
I might try one Aspi plant in the garden. I sell my plants, so that's why they are always in pots. Bye :D
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

multim wrote: Mine grow in dappled shade and only get watered when it rains. Fungal gnats....no fun at all!
Fungal Gnats! If only I were young again What a name for a band! I could have made a fortune had I thought of that. icon_r&r icon_thumright
Volksman999

Aspidistra

Post by Volksman999 »

Ive just bought an Aspidistra from a local garden centre who had it amongst their houseplants. I bought it to add a bit of evergreen to my depleted garden but am now worried that, as it has probably been indoors its whole life, it may not take too kindly to being put outside at this time of the year. Anyone have any thoughts?
otorongo

Aspidistra

Post by otorongo »

Don't worry Volksman999, they're tough as old boots.