New member/Jacaranda

AndyStewart

New member/Jacaranda

Post by AndyStewart »

Hello all,

New member here, Andy from North London. Best wishes (and Merry Christmas).

A question. In short, is it possible to grow a jacaranda tree in the ground in a full sun south facing plot in London? I suspect the answer is no, but if anyone does think it possible, would they know where I can source a four or five year that would be hardened off as best it can be?

Many thanks, Andy
GREVILLEAJ

New member/Jacaranda

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Hi Andy. Welcome to HTUK icon_cheers

I tried a number of times from seed many years ago and kept them overwintered in a frost free greenhouse but couldn't get them past the sapling stage.

A mature plant if you can find one might resist a -5c if there was thick bark but the flowering tips will always succumb to light frosts. The chance of flowering will only occur in a frost free environment.

A pot grown specimen that can be kept frost free in a conservatory or high greenhouse may allow blooms but pest problems will interfere.

And if you try planting out and digging up for winter then root disturbance will terminate your efforts.

But no harm in trying.
AndyStewart

New member/Jacaranda

Post by AndyStewart »

Hi AJ,

Many thanks for your welcome and your informative reply, much appreciated. Sadly I think will have leave those jacaranda dreams to one side. One day...

That does leave me missing an idea for an ornamental tree as a new focal centrepiece for a sort of tropical/Iberian theme makeover for the garden. Any favourites you could suggest? Andy
Chez2

New member/Jacaranda

Post by Chez2 »

Hi Andy, welcome and happy Christmas.

It will be fairly quiet here until the growing season starts. I don't know what style of garden you have in mind so can't help you. Have a look on Pinterest or perhaps post photos of what you have in mind. I'm sure someone will advise you once they know the style you are trying to achieve..
tatter

New member/Jacaranda

Post by tatter »

Hello and welcome Andy, as Chez said very quite at this time of year
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
chainsaw kid

New member/Jacaranda

Post by chainsaw kid »

My favourite tree is the Acacia baileyana, the purple form. That way you get 2 lots of colour yellow flowers in the winter and purple leaves in spring. Mine is very early this year it is flowering now! I have never had it flower till January/February before. A nice surprise for Christmas. Woo Hoo icon_cheers icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
AndyStewart

New member/Jacaranda

Post by AndyStewart »

Many thanks Chez, tatter and chainsaw kid (nice name). The acacia sounds nice - will check it out. Congrats on the surprise early flowering!

Before I thought of a jacaranda I was considering a carob tree. Anyone with experience of one and care to share?
Chez2

New member/Jacaranda

Post by Chez2 »

AndyStewart wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:32 pm Many thanks Chez, tatter and chainsaw kid (nice name). The acacia sounds nice - will check it out. Congrats on the surprise early flowering!

Before I thought of a jacaranda I was considering a carob tree. Anyone with experience of one and care to share?
You haven't said what size, style or look you are trying to create. I have a few trees but not sure what you are looking for. I have a smoke bush for purple foliage, an indian bean tree for its leaf shape and a fatsia grown tree style. I have just cut the tree fatsia down as it was getting a bit tall (towards six foot / 2m). You can grow climbers or scramblers up them if you wany colour. I have a another tree but its like a tall slim Japanese maple. I can't remember what that is called but its leaves go a glorious red colour in autumn.