Greenhouse soil Sterlisation liquid/ bomb(not steam)

chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Any one have any recommendations on what to use to rid soil of unwanted pests. I had some microscopic critters that ait most of my seedlings off to ground level any erudite suggestions out there.

Thanks and a successful new year to one and all. icon_cheers drunken_smilie1 :wink:

Jas.
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
tatter

Post by tatter »

Jaz
The old timers (yes older than me) used to use Jeyes fluid although not sure of dilution ratio they used.
I think it probably advises on the container.But I think it was something like 1 tablespoon per 2 gallons .
By the way BAH HUMBUG . :lol: :lol:
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

What sort of pests? Did you see them? Could it be small slugs? I don't usually put seeds direct in to the soil. I have always had a concrete base to my greenhouse so everything can we washed and sterilised each year. Fresh growing medium used in seed trays, tubs or raised beds.

Personally I'm not fond of using any method of sterilising soil except when sowing seeds in a tray. I do treat ornamental plants in tubs for vine weevil but thats all.
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Hi Tatter, You know nothing about Humbug! I bought a set of lights around 10 years ago with Bah Humbug on them and they have never been out of the tube I bought them in. I just open the end fish around for the plug and place them on a flat surface. :D Now that's Humbug. :lol: Thanks for the Jeyes Fluid tip someone on another forum said the same thing. Someone else mentioned h202 whatever that is, I must do some more research. icon_thumright

Chez I don't think they are slugs as they only attack newly emerging seedlings nothing older. I even tried to poison the critters by planting foxgloves seedlings that didn't work either. :roll:

The Kid.
charliep

Post by charliep »

H2O2 is Hydrogen peroxide.

When you say attack do you mean eaten or keel over?
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

HI Charlie, little holes appear in and around the edges of the leaves until they are eaten completely they then the leaf storks and finally the main stem. This only applies to newly emerged seedlings not older plants, they don't touch palm seedlings, perhaps they are to tough!

On totally different note despite your help I still can't get onto your website! Can you erase me completely so that I can start from scratch. Thanks. Jas. icon_thumright

The Kid.
charliep

Post by charliep »

Not had similar problems so not sure what is doing the munching, could be baby slugs/snails could be some sort of flea beetle.
Re PTB I have deleted you but retained your old posts, let me know by email if you can't get back in not had anyone else (as of yet) so am hoping its not a general site problem
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

chainsaw kid / Jas. The only other 'mystery' pest I have had problems with are thrips. They are so tiny you cant really see them but they do eat leaves. Could it be thrips? I just see bits of leaf missing but never see what does it.This happens on small pieces of leaf on mature plants outside.
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Chez, this is totally beyond my sphere of expertise. I have not any thing to do with greenhouses since I was a teenager and grew tomatoes commercially with my dad! icon_tomato icon_tomato icon_tomato icon_tomato icon_tomato icon_tomato I am now an old age pensioner!!!!!! I built a greenhouse last year to grow tomatoes and other stuff. Tomatoes were a success as were palm seedlings but any other seedlings were eaten down to the ground. What ever it was started in one position on the seed trays and spread out eating the whole tray over a couple of days if it was not removed from the green house. :roll: Mature plants were not effected, but I can see nothing. What ever it is, is contained in the green house and does not venture outside. Also if I lift trays a few feet off the ground they are not touched. Hence my assumption that what ever it is, is in or on the ground but I can see nothing. :?: icon_scratch

Charlie, thanks I will give it another try. icon_cheers

The Kid.
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

It sounds like slugs. They come out more at night. We don't seem to have too much of a problem with them but at night if its damp our driveway is alive with them; some massive monsters.

I don't like to use any chemical in the garden if I can help it but I do use slug pellets when I have young seedlings or young plants around. Try pellets, an empty upturned orange skin (they will crawl inside) or a slug pub.
https://www.slugoff.co.uk/killing-slugs/beer-trap
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Chez, I assume with the frosty nights slugs will not come out? icon_scratch

The Kid.
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

I haven't seen them in frost but it hasn't been cold enough here to stop them yet. Has your greenhouse been below zero yet? We have only had two light frosts here, only one a ground frost. The other frost was just on the cars not the ground or anything else.
tatter

Post by tatter »

Jaz I agree with Chez it sounds like slugs .They are very good at hiding in all the nooks and crannies of a greenhouse during the day .They will always go for the youngest softest tenderist plant material first hence the seedlings. Slug pellets seem to be solution. I have heard of people having success with garlic spray on seedlings not tried it myself though, I do have the odd one or two slugs in my greenhouse from time to time but a torch at night time will find them and then despatched in your preferred method. You are right that the warmer it is the more active they are.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Thank you both, I have scattered a few pellets about to be on the safe side. icon_thumright

The Kid.