Is it possible to transplant a large Agave Americana in winter?

Tropic Plunder

Post by Tropic Plunder »

Tempted to buy a large 4ft by 6ft across Agave (Century Plant) that I have seen on eBay; the only issue I have, is that the buyer has to transplant the plant themselves which will mean digging it up now, and with several months of cold weather still ahead of us, there will be no chance for the plant to establish itself in it's new home. I just wondered if anyone has any advice or experience of moving this type of plant at this time of year?...

Thanks in advance peeps!
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I have no experience with this plant, but I'm guessing rot is your biggest potential enemy. Do you have a way to keep it dry until it gets warmer? Maybe you can put it in a large pot for now and keep it in a greenhouse?
Tropic Plunder

Post by Tropic Plunder »

My understanding is that they are quite hardy if kept dry through winter, especially at this size. I was thinking along similar lines regards a pot, although it will be far too large to house in the conservatory. Maybe a sheltered corner of the garden will do... just a little apprehensive about shelling out and then it dying on me :-(
tatter

Post by tatter »

Whilst it is not ideal of course my thoughts are that it needs to be potted certainly.If no greenhouse is available I would keep it as close to the house as possible preferably south facing and erect a rain shelter over it /pop up greenhouse . By the way Welcome to the forum
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Tropic Plunder

Post by Tropic Plunder »

The patio by the house is currently a winter home to a large Butia and Trachycarpus, so space is at a premium. I know these need full sun generally speaking, but thinking it could sit under shelter of a tree for the winter months until it's planted out in spring?...I have some polythene sheeting left over from a poly-tunnel I knocked up to protect some of my other tender plants, so maybe I could drape this over during the wettest spells?

Thank you for the welcome! :-)
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Welcome to HTUK, TP icon_cheers

Pity they don't want to wait till next Spring to have it dug out. Even if you cut away a large amount of root as well as a few older leaves to have it potted it should still keep outside in south facing protection.

The key is to keep it dry. A plastic drape might encourage condensation. There should always be moving air around it. A wooden frame with a sloping roof should work.
Tropic Plunder

Post by Tropic Plunder »

Thanks for your input guys... decided to take the plunge and buy it! :shock:
Too good a price to pass up considering it's on my wanted list. Just hope it fits in the car now!! :DD
tatter

Post by tatter »

As Grevilleaj said a framework is need for rain shelter to allow air movement , Just draping polythene over would not be good
Jim
Tropic Plunder

Post by Tropic Plunder »

20190113_152239.jpg
Just got it home and potted it up. Pot is too small really, but will do until it's planted out in its permanent place. Weighs a bloody tonne!!
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

That's a monster! Must have been a challenge to move such a fierce, prickly plant of this size.
Tropic Plunder

Post by Tropic Plunder »

Certainly was. Luckily the chap I bought it from had his son help him dig it up ready for when I got there. Had to get it out alone once I got home though!!
tatter

Post by tatter »

That's a beauty well done icon_thumleft
Jim
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Hi TP, if you are going to keep it outside you could consider wrapping the pot in bubble wrap to stop the frost freezing the roots. icon_thumleft I once lost a waggy when the pot froze solid. :roll:
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Tropic Plunder

Post by Tropic Plunder »

Yeah, I've got the Butia pot wrapped in fleece, though mainly keep it there ready so that I can easily wrap the foliage on cold nights. That little corner where the conservatory butts up to the house is actually pretty sheltered, so fingers crossed with a little protection the agave will get through winter!
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

What a brilliant find, TP icon_thumleft Absolutely no way could you let that one go.

By the looks of it you have plenty of hard surfaces close by to give the Agave shelter. Any reflected and radiated heat from wintet sun off your walls to give extra protection?

It is a good idea also to protect the pot with some insulating material as has been suggested. Also put something under the pot to keep it off the ground.

How did you pot up without losing a few litres of blood?