Exotic house plant ideas

Leaporlepor

Exotic house plant ideas

Post by Leaporlepor »

I'm starting a collection of exotic house plants. I've wanted to for a while but have only recently been in a position to do it. So far I have a Winter Flowering Cactus, a Zebra Cactus and a Venus Fly Trap. I love succulents and cacti but also want to find other plants. I would really like some type of Bonsai Tree, something that flowers and some ornamental grass. I know that's vague but I'm open to ideas and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some cat friendly exotic house plants.

Also I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent book on how to keep orchids suitable for beginners? Most of my growing experience is with fruits, vegetables and roses and I'm of the understanding that growing orchids can be a tricky buisness. I'm interested in the idea of growing orchids but would like to find a good book about it to see if I think it's something that I can do.
chainsaw kid

Exotic house plant ideas

Post by chainsaw kid »

Hi Lea, welcome to HTUK. My favourite house plant at present is Asparagus Densiflorus (sprengeri) it gets nice comments from visiting guests.

Indoor Bonsai are a bit more difficult as most trees are meant to be grown out side and there for most people end up killing them after short periods of time! However one of the easiest is Chinese Elm but they don't flower. You could try Satsuki Azalea which do flower. The other option is to grow them out side and bring them in when in flower/berry. for this you could try Pyracanths or Crab Apple. I notice you like succulents so you use Crassula/Jade tree very easy (indestructible) and you often see them in Chinese Restaurants.

I have been surrounded by orchids for over 20 years ever since I first met my wife, as most of her family are mad on them! Indeed her grandad who was mates with Percy Thrower knocked down a row of terraced houses at the bottom of the garden to build an Orchid house!!!!!! How times have changed. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: However I only grow outdoor orchids my self. Many are far more hardy than people think. They lived through the Beast last winter with out a scratch. Any one wishing to try hardy Orchids should just punch it into eBay there is plenty of choice. As for indoor Orchids it seems a north facing room is best, although they can be grown in a west or east facing room if kept in the shade, give the plants a good soak let them drain and don't water them again until dry. Easy. icon_study I hope this helps. icon_thumleft
Last edited by chainsaw kid on Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Leaporlepor

Exotic house plant ideas

Post by Leaporlepor »

Thank you, it definitely gives me some things to look into.
Chez2

Exotic house plant ideas

Post by Chez2 »

I have orchids. Its better to keep them dry, I would not suggest soaking them. I have only every killed mine when they get too wet. I have Phalaenopsis and Dendrobium orchids. Dendrobrobium look like canes and mine has lots of tiny white flowers all up the stem. My Phalaenopsis flower each year at the same time. Keep them on the dry side. Mine are in sphagnum moss. They need a temperature difference between night and day to make them flower. I move mine around different windowsills depending on the time of year. Mine spend most of the time on a west facing windowsill due to the orientation of the house. Some are within a room or on the floor with filtered sunlight (through a louvre blind) near a south facing window.

I have three small Dendrobium orchids for sale. If I can find a box to post them it would be £10 plus p&p.
Last edited by Chez2 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leaporlepor

Exotic house plant ideas

Post by Leaporlepor »

Thank you. I'd definitely be interested, the pictures of Dendrobium orchids I saw online are beautiful. I've been looking at orchid prices in places near to me and they start at £10 per plant. Orchids seem to be one of the few flowering house plants that are universally cat friendly. They are also very beautiful
GREVILLEAJ

Exotic house plant ideas

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Here's on you might like, Lea. How about a succulent bonsai hybrid?

Google Crassula ovata 'monstruosa' and you'll see what I mean, particularly the mature specimens
Varieties such as 'hobbit' create a similar effect.
Leaporlepor

Exotic house plant ideas

Post by Leaporlepor »

That is a very pretty plant.
Chez2

Exotic house plant ideas

Post by Chez2 »

Leaporlepor wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:18 pm Thank you. I'd definitely be interested, the pictures of Dendrobium orchids I saw online are beautiful. I've been looking at orchid prices in places near to me and they start at £10 per plant. Orchids seem to be one of the few flowering house plants that are universally cat friendly. They are also very beautiful
Send me your email address and I will send you a photo of the plants and flowers. I don't know how to upload photos on this forum from my phone.