Your most coveted plant?

Daniel5042

Your most coveted plant?

Post by Daniel5042 »

I have recently taken delivery of a Schefflera taiwaniana, a plant that I have been pining over for at least a year.

It gave me pause for thought, what plant have you been hoping to obtain the most?
Chad

Your most coveted plant?

Post by Chad »

Ficus auriculata.

I keep buying seed, but [like everyone else] I get no plants.

It is pollinated by a specific wasp that only exist in its native range, and commercial seed seems to come from outside of that area!

I was after Saurauia madrensis and Passiflora macrophylla but I now have seeds of those and the Saurauia are already growing away nicely. I won't start the Passiflora until it is a bit warmer.

Chad.
charliep

Your most coveted plant?

Post by charliep »

I would love to get the true Passiflora antioquiensis back having lost it a few years ago, so far all plants I have got hold of have been its hybrids

The effect is similar to this picture of Passiflora 'Mission Delores' but with much longer peduncles

Imagepassiflora mission delores 003 by charliepridham, on Flickr
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Chad

Your most coveted plant?

Post by Chad »

Charlie,

Does this look right?

Chad
Daniel5042

Your most coveted plant?

Post by Daniel5042 »

Chad wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:51 pm I was after Saurauia madrensis
I haven't heard of this one before, it looks a little like a Chestnut or Rogersia. Nice!
charliep

Your most coveted plant?

Post by charliep »

Chad wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:57 pm Does this look right?
Yes but it is not the sellers picture so the seed might not be! may be worth a punt though, I am hoping to pick some seed up from the Stybing (where I got my original seed from) in Feb, but good to have a fallback plan!
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Tropic Plunder

Your most coveted plant?

Post by Tropic Plunder »

Only had the luxury of a garden for one summer, so my wanted list is pretty extensive at the minute (including Schefflera Taiwaniana)... Can't afford to get everything at once, but hope to get my hands on some more this year. Will be looking for some Billbergia Nutens to plant amongst the trachys and ferns, plus Pododphyllum 'Spotty Dotty' to plant on the shady side of the garden. Canna Musifolia and Tuerckheimii... Brahea Armata or Edulis... Alocaisas... Colocasias... I could list loads more!

Will have to sell my body to fund all this mind you!! 😂🤣
Chad

Your most coveted plant?

Post by Chad »

charliep wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:26 am I am hoping to pick some seed up from the Stybing
e-bay at less than £10 looks a bit cheaper than a trip to Stybing; even if it may not be true to name!

Chad.
GREVILLEAJ

Your most coveted plant?

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Intrigued by the choices starting to appear on this thread. I often covet other people's wishes and would love to try them simply to discover what makes this or that plant tick the boxes for them.

Now I'm 'retired' from trying anything new because I'm out of the UK for nine months of the year I can only focus on established material that looks largely looks after itself until can give them a bit of TLC in the summer.

Unfortunately, instead of being content with what I have a fantasy wish list is getting bigger all the time. I really would love to try many recent Colocasia introductions but I'm no longer here long enough to supervise their winter care and the dry climate of the Canary Islands limits any success I might have with them over there. :roll:
charliep

Your most coveted plant?

Post by charliep »

Chad wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:28 pm e-bay at less than £10 looks a bit cheaper than a trip to Stybing; even if it may not be true to name!
Couldn't find the smiley faces so you will have to imagine me chuckling!
We are heading out there to pick up some Lapageria
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Tropic Plunder

Your most coveted plant?

Post by Tropic Plunder »

charliep wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:49 am We are heading out there to pick up some Lapageria
After Googling the above, Lapageria has just been added to my wish-list! 😁