Parrot's.

Forum rules
Same as all HTUK forums, be courteous, polite and tolerant, remember everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if you don't agree with it ;)
karl66

Parrot's.

Post by karl66 »

Has anyone on the forum ever kept them?, i know you wont see them as natural wildlife in uk but kept in large cages they can compliment tropical gardens on most patio's in spring & summer time!!. I've had various species many years ago inc african greys, various amazon's , yellow & sulphure crested cockatoo's & almost bought a giant macaw!!. you will have to keep the wings clipped on all the above as once there sitting on there perch outside the cage, they like to take flight. They take a lot of upkeep to care for them properly but once you get to grips they can be very rewarding pets!, oh and they drive you mad mimicking other family members & other pets. karl.
philip kitts

Re: Parrot's.

Post by philip kitts »

Down here around London there are 1000s of ring necked parakeets flying around I've heard them but never seen one but in some areas they flock in large numbers, you wouldn't want them in your apple orchard though :ahhh!:
Kerry78

Re: Parrot's.

Post by Kerry78 »

I have 3x Cockatiels 8)

I have kept birds for years i've had Pigeons and even a Goose which sadly got savaged by a fox :evil:
Natfx7

Parrot's.

Post by Natfx7 »

karl66 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:29 am you will have to keep the wings clipped on all the above as once there sitting on there perch outside the cage, they like to take flight.
Clipping wings is painful for birds. Instead you should keep them in cage.
chainsaw kid

Parrot's.

Post by chainsaw kid »

I have only just spotted this post, I used to keep parakeets and cockatiels when I was younger but I'm not sure it would make the garden more tropical if you keep them in a cage, unless you have a massive walk in flight cage that was planted up however the parrot family is notorious for chewing every thing up so you would need something different but equally exotic Toucan, Hornbill, Mynah or Kookaburra. If you want something to roam free I have had Guinea fowl and Peafowl roaming free in the garden and I suspect Quail would be ok as well. I do not recommend Pea fowl unless you have a very big garden as they like to roost in trees. they also tend to land on your car and can scratch he roof or bonnet and they make an ear splitting row!!!!!! icon_aaargh icon_thumright

When I was working on a house in Richmond (Surrey). The garden was full of Ring necked parakeets most days, and you would see massive flocks take off at dusk to roost. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Chez2

Parrot's.

Post by Chez2 »

Natfx7 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:22 am Clipping wings is painful for birds. Instead you should keep them in cage.
The wing clipping of birds as I know it is not painful. Its about as painful as having your hair or nails trimmed. We used to have to do our geese as they used to fly out but somehow couldn't work out how to get in. The would fly at traffic level, HGV and bus level across the main road. We had to clip their wings for their safety and the safety of people travelling through the village.

The wing clipping I know is just cutting half way through the flight feathers on one wing. Blood is only at the end of the feather where it is attached to the bird.
Mon24

Parrot's.

Post by Mon24 »

I would love to have a parrot but I have many doubts too..Aren't they too loud? I live in a flat so my neighbours would kill me if I bought such animal shouting all the time. What is more, they live for so long. I read that they some of them can survive for about 90 years like eg macaws. What do you think about them?