Tree fern is scorched and no new fronds

shadyp

Post by shadyp »

Hello to all,

I have a 2ft tree fern which I bought after summer last year. Fern face has been planted in a large pot and was put in the garden. He survived winter but has since lost 2/6 fronds which were already there when purchased.

Today the leaves were browning so I moved fern to a slightly shadier spot. The garden gets full sun throughout the day : /

More in the morning but shaded by 2pm. I ended up moving my fern back to its original spot as the storms come in and it was getting thrashed. No winning.

I have mixed epsom salts and water n there is water in the tray he sits in. I feel im not doing enough to fern face grow but seem to be scorching and wind damaging it. Any tips or advice please?

Thank you...

Shady
Attachments
Older pic which shows scorched leaves.
Older pic which shows scorched leaves.
Screenshot_2020-04-12-22-04-46-1.png
Chad

Post by Chad »

That is a recently imported Dicksonia antarctica trunk and probably has no [or few] roots regrowing from the trunk yet.

The pot it is potted in is not big enough for it to grow enough root to support a head of leaves.

The 'outer pot' would do it for a year or two.

If you have a place to plant it out then it will be happier in the soil, if not, I would pot it in to the bigger pot now.

If it dries out at the root then you are likely to lose any roots that have already grown.

My tree ferns in tubs each stand in a tray or bigger tub without drainage holes so that through the summer I can leave an inch of water in the bottom when I water. Even watering every day they have usually drunk all of that before I water again.

Personally I wouldn't give extra feed or nutrients until it had a root system.

Browning of last years leaves isn't a problem as long as it has enough roots to support this years leaves which should be about to unfurl from the centre. They can be felt as 'knuckles' in the centre of the crown.

In habitat they are often found in full sun, so although we think of them as shade plants sun isn't a problem if the root can be kept moist.

Huge leaves grow in high humidity, so moisture and shelter are probably more important than shade.

Chad
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Chad, how many new leaves a year do you expect to get on an established tree fern just out of interest? Jas.
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Chad, how many new leaves a year do you expect to get on an established tree fern just out of interest? Jas.

Edit, HTUK, so good I posted twice! :roll: :lol:

The Kid.
Chad

Post by Chad »

I've just been out to count.

On a well established Dicksonia antarctica growing in the soil in shade, but not particularly moist, I had 37 new leaves last year. It is just possible that it was half that many and I've counted two years worth though!

This was grown from spore about 15 years ago and now has 3ft of very stout stem.

On an established, potted [in a tub - 120L] Cyathea cooperi I had 6 new leaves; but they are huge leaves.

Chad
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

HI Chad, thanks for taking the trouble to look and expressing what you found. I was curious because I bought one last summer but I kept it in the pot it was already in as I was not ready to plant it in the garden for reasons I wont bore you with! It was kept in the greenhouse over winter with the doors open during the day as I wanted to keep it hard. I planted it out 3 weeks ago and have had a flush of 13 new leaves which is not a lot, but I suppose it would be unrealistic to expect any more on a newly planted fern. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for a second flush later in the year. Thanks Jas.

The Kid.
Chad

Post by Chad »

On a five year old sporeling Dicksonia antarctica that is under potted [15L and it has about 8 inches of trunk] I got ten new leaves last year, and they were only about 12 inches long.

It either needs a much bigger pot and feeding or to be planted out!

Chad
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Mine had 4 leaves when I bought it last year and then grew another one later in the year. Although I told you it had grown 13 leaves this year another one is coming out of the centre as I compose this. The leaves are longer than last year so I am assuming it is reasonably happy although not full size 2 meter leaves. I have to say I am trying to keep it happy, feeding and watering every day from the top, It also has a 5 foot trunk so it may have a bit more stored energy than a smaller Fern.

The Kid.