Yucca rostrata

Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Maybe it has tio do with provenance or genetical variability. I know Yucca rostrata here in The Netherlands looking and growing very good. It is maybe best planted in a very coarse type of sand to start it of. And the hotter the better.

Alexander
Frank

Post by Frank »

My two were purchased in Jan this year and had some root. They are in the raised arid bed.
Both have pushed new growth this year and aren't protected, so we see what happens next year.
Photo doesn't add much more :lol:, just wanted to check whether I can post pics.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Just remembered to compliment the photos of Melissa and Frank, lovely arid beds you've got! :D

Frank, did you dig up any of your Agaves to bring under cover during winter? I remember you have a lovely specimen of Agave verschafeltii, are you leaving that outside? 8)
Frank

Post by Frank »

Mark,

I left virtually everything in place apart from the aeoniums and some aloes, which you can't actually see in the photo. Both the a. parryi and arizonica as the rest of the aloes, cacti etc. are all still in place. I've put a rain cover over them now.
To be honest the echeveria are looking the best they have done all year no longer being marked by water.

I chickened out with the verschaffeltii given that Paul S. had tried and failed. I never planted it outside, just gave it a new pot. It's small enough so went into the greenhouse ......
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Thanks Mark,can't wait to really get going on the new bit next year, should look even better when it's finished, keep your fingers crossed.

Melissa
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

You're welcome Melissa :) I'm sure it will be lovely, the plans you mentioned while we were there sounds good. Had a lovely time visiting your garden and the weather was cooperative! Hope you'll invite us again to see the changes you and Keith have made :D

Frank, the big A. verschaffeltii you have is lovely on the photo, looked like show quality specimen! It's one of those lesser known Agaves that's very ornamental, I've got a couple of small ones and looks pretty already, can't wait for it to become as big as yours.

I gave my Yucca rostrata a tickle on the base and saw it has plenty of roots already, compared to only having two when first planted. Looks like Palmbooster did it's magic again 8) My only moan is I paid too much for it, trunk's only 18'' but a few months later lots of import came in and I would have gotten at least a meter's trunk at the same price I paid for my one now :evil:
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

I can vouch that Franks dry bed looks great. Hopefully as it is covered at the moment, he wont notice i popped around with a spade and borrowed a couple of the plants :lol:
john and tacha

Post by john and tacha »

Dave Brown wrote:Try sticking it in the green house over summer. A lot of American plants can take big freezes but must have 100F heat to do well in summer. :wink:

You are right Dave.
It is frequently not even the cold or rain which makes the plant weak.
But also the lack of heat.
as soon as it starts growing it is frequently already midsummer… therefore rotting has enough time to infect it.

rg
John and Tacha
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Mark, you are welcome to pop in and see us any time you are this way. We hope to get the pond in next year to, so things should look a bit different.

Melissa
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Now that we come to mention A. verschaffeltii, Dave did the pup I sent you live????
Libby

Re: Yucca rostrata

Post by Libby »

Lee-ann mentioned she had one of these and I was searching and found this, so thought I would bump it up as I am interested in how these faired over the last winter??
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

My Rostrata has been in the ground 3 winters now and has been fine. Was a bit worried this last winter with the temperatures plummeting, so on the coldest spells fleeced it up and put a shelter over it. It has had leaf spotting, but only minor. When I first had it 4 years ago, it came with just a few roots so I potted it up till it had a good root system (took 12 months) then planted it in well drained soil. I've never had any trouble with it since.

Hope this is of some help.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Libby

Post by Libby »

Thank you for that :D anyone else??
redsquirrel

Re:

Post by redsquirrel »

I gave my Yucca rostrata a tickle on the base and saw it has plenty of roots already, compared to only having two when first planted. Looks like Palmbooster did it's magic again 8) My only moan is I paid too much for it, trunk's only 18'' but a few months later lots of import came in and I would have gotten at least a meter's trunk at the same price I paid for my one now :evil:[/quote]

sorry this is a bit late mark but i wouldnt have any gripes if its now well rooted.you could have waited and got a metre trunk but thats no good if it dont root.personally i think a well rooted rostrata is worth at least 3 if not 4 times more than a bare root gamble which in my books makes yours worth a lot more now. ive taken a gamble on some to make a few quid in a few years time,problem now is ive got rather attached to them as they have progressed
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
multim

Post by multim »

Hi,
Yes, mine is doing really well. Planted against a south facing wall in well drained soil in 2009. It seems to be quite happy.
Attachments
3 Years from planting
3 Years from planting
Last edited by multim on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.