Arum Lily - Pruning/cutting back?

Spezzo

Arum Lily - Pruning/cutting back?

Post by Spezzo »

Hi all,

Have scoured google for advice on cutting back arum lilys but found nothing. I have had the plant a good few years now and it has made it through each winter. This winter the snow got to it and the weight broke all the stems. The plant is still alive as it is just starting to put out new leaves although they are a bit on the small side.

I'd like to know if I can cut this back and if so how hard and is it likely to flower again in time for spring? If not any idea where I can get a large established specimen? Most places only seem to sell a 2lt pot.

Many Thanks

Mike
Petefree

Re: Arum Lily - Pruning/cutting back?

Post by Petefree »

Hi Mike
Quite a few plants can be called "Arum Lily" - is the one you have Zantedeschia aethiopica - the one with unmarked green leaves and big white flowers?
If so cutting it back should be fine - they sometimes stay evergreen but in really cold winters the foliage can be damaged, either way they usually put up new shoots from the base and should still form a big plant and flower for you from May onwards.
Pete
Spezzo

Post by Spezzo »

Thanks Pete

Yes its one of those white ones. My parents also had the same problem and their plants were huge. I'll pass this info on to them too. Would you suggest cutting right back to the ground or just to under where the stems have bent over?
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

I'd probably cut it as low as possible, Mike. If you leave the stems they'll probably only go mushy anyway.
Pete
Andrew In Bracknell

Post by Andrew In Bracknell »

Homebase often have some big ones in, but they charge a lot for them. Unless you really want it big this year, you are better off buying a bulb or two from a GC now for a couple of pounds, the plant will grow quick!
Frank

Post by Frank »

The winter did all the work for me and pretty much cut everything to the ground by turning it into mush. There's been a few winters when this has happened so not concerned.
Last year it stayed fully in leaf, must have been that bit colder this year :wink:
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Zantedeschia's are a lovely plant and tougher than they look, but be careful though when cutting back the old leaves it's easy to damage whats coming up underneath.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

There are a few other versions of this plant family Mike, they should be no problem growing where you are. Zantedeschia Aethiopica 'Green Goddess' is one, I can't remember the name of the 2nd one but it's worth looking out for when in bloom. :D
Attachments
038.JPG
035.JPG
simon

Post by simon »

Nigel, I think that second pic is a form of Zantedeschia elliotiana. They are notable by the spotted leaves. There are lots of hybrids of this available with different colours of spathe. I have this bright sulfur yellow one which I like and it comes back for me each year.

Another nice form of aethiopica is 'Mr. Martin' which is white but with larger, more open spathes.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mine turned to mush in the hard frost, the mush dried in the sun. and when I pulled it, it came off in one lump leaving the emerging leaves icon_thumright This is the first time mine has been cut right back but seem to be growing quite stongly now. The leaves seem to collapse down to about -4C then bounce back up but we had nearly -6C this winter and that truly mushed the leaves. :roll:

I didn't think the spotted leaved ones were completely hardy. I have had some, but don't now :roll:
Attachments
210608 Garden 010.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
simon

Post by simon »

Dave, the elliotiana varieties have come back for me the last 3 or 4 years I have had them. They are certainly less hardy than aethiopica, at least above ground they go to mush at the first sign of frost. I will have to see if they come back after this harsher winter.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

That's it Simon...Z.Elliotiana, the yellow forms nice too, they all seem to take a lot longer here to come back into growth compared to Z.Aethiopica.

Dave, I have some of the yellow one similar to Simon's. If you fancy trying again with it let me know. :wink:
norderney

Post by norderney »

Simon, how did the Yellow flowered Zantedeschia elliotiana get on? Did it survive the winter?

I saw this Zantedeschia 'Schwarzwalder' - Rare Black Calla Arum Lily -
http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/Produ ... ductID=641

How hardy do you think this one is?
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

The leaves of my white flowered Z. are always mushed over winter! My coloured ones are always put into the garage over winter, just in case! I find the coloured ones seem to flower better every 2nd year, is this me doing something wrong or has anyone else noticed it?
Libby

Post by Libby »

I got one of the big white, non spotted leave ones at a plant sale for an absolute bargain :D where is the best place to plant this?